cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline to fibre

ZogtheUnhappy
Joining in

Hi

I recently recieved an email from virginmedia@contactengine.email which, to my eyes, looks like a phishing email; who the h**l believes in an email from "contactengine"? Where is the Virgin media .co.uk bit that we all look for? So, following guidance from Virgin I forwarded it to them using phishing@virginmedia.co.uk and guess what, it got bounced straight back to me.

My questions are,

1) Why are you using an email address that looks suspicious?

2) Why  have you rejected my email  attempt to verify the original email from yourselves?

I don't expect anyone from Virgin with the clout change things to answer, just some poor underling who will try to placate me with hollow apologies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's genuine, VM is migrating customers from PSTN.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ZogtheUnhappy,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry for any confusion regarding recent emails. When forwarding to the phishing address, if it's something we're already aware of these can bounce back.  

The correct address I believe is phishing@virginmedia.com if you can try forwarding to that?

Are you able to advise what the content of the email was?

Alex_Rm

ZogtheUnhappy_1-1667921764291.png

This is the start of the email I forwarded to yourselves with the email address I sent it to. I followed the link from your website which turns out to be a .co.uk format and not .com as you suggest in your reply. This throws another question.

1) If you are aware of a problem email, why does your system not return somthing in the line off " Thank you for your email, this is known to us and we are working on it"; not just bouncing the email back to the sender leaving them in the dark  and still not knowing if their concerns are real or not?

Dave

ZogtheUnhappy_0-1667923009828.png

It's genuine, VM is migrating customers from PSTN.

--

Thank you @Roger_Gooner for your help. Are you a Virgin employee or are they piggybacking on your good will?

This still leaves me wondering why a giant tec company like Virgin are using an email address that looks suspicious? No one has bothered to answer my original questions as to why they use Virgin@searchengine and not Dot Com or Dot Co Dot UK. And why is it beyond some tec managers wit to set up a proper reply to a customers email and not just bounce it back with no explnation. But perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, this is Virgin after all.

Answers: no and yes. Don't get hung up about the email address.

I happen to be knowledgeable about the migration from PSTN, everyone especially Openreach is doing it, VM's solution is provide you with an adapter which you plug into the RJ11 TEL 1 socket of your hub and connect the other end to your handset.

--