cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline stopped working today

AnneMou64
On our wavelength

Hi my landline has stopped working this morning and have tried the usual ie unplugging and plugging back in.  
It’s plugged into my hub and I have another handset downstairs plugged into the wall.

Virgin websites informs me - no probs at my postcode!

also, tells me there is planned work tomorrow (not today!) and I will lose landline, tv, TiVo etc etc.

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AnneMou64 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I am sorry for the phone issues. There are no issues when doing a system check, have you tried both handsets? Can you also reboot the router for me as it's been up for 5 weeks. Let me know if the reboot fixes it and just to confirm, you are plugged in to the telephone port on the router as well?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

29 REPLIES 29

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AnneMou64 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I am sorry for the phone issues. There are no issues when doing a system check, have you tried both handsets? Can you also reboot the router for me as it's been up for 5 weeks. Let me know if the reboot fixes it and just to confirm, you are plugged in to the telephone port on the router as well?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

AnneMou64
On our wavelength

Hi John

Thanks for prompt response and yes Handset is plugged into router and I tried unplugging and unplugging both that and downstairs handset…….

Handset plugged into router appears to have miraculously sorted itself out as few minutes ago and downstairs handset is working too,

Perhaps the calm before tomorrow’s predicted outages!

Maggie

Glad to hear all sorted and I hope tomorrow's maintenance is sorted asap. 

John_GS
Forum Team

AnneMou64
On our wavelength
PS I’ve also rebooted the router as you requested and, after thinking for a while, my handset plugged into it is working🙏
Thanks John. maggie

Our landline stopped working in April. I have unplugged the phone and router, still not working. I borrowed a phone from our neighbour to replace our land phone. Still not working.  Message from Virgin Media...this has nothing to do with us!  Appreciate any help, please.

Hi there @Minerva2011 👋 Welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

Sorry to see you've still been having issues with your landline service. Just to confirm, were there any issues showing via our service page here when you checked?

If not, I'd recommend checking our landline help page here for further support.

If you still need help after checking these, please let us know. We're always happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Minerva2011
Joining in

This is no help at all!  Our landline is NOT working. Using a brand new phone and the result is the same. If the response from Virgin Media is ...there are no landline problems in your area!!! then why is our landline not working.

I would assume that there is a substantial problem with the Virgin Media internet or modem. Help is needed.

Thanks for your reply, as you're still having issues with this I'll be happy to send you a PM to confirm your details for further investigation.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

djfairweather
On our wavelength

I am having a similar problem.  My landline stopped working this morning.  It is a bi-cable wired landline, not from the back of the hub!  I have dragged out my old BT wired handset with no batteries involved and plugged it directly into the master socket.  Nothing!  The 'Landline help page' offers 'poor sound quality' (it's not because there is NO sound quality)   'Block nuisance calls'  (I can't get any calls nuisance or otherwise)  or 'Constant Ringing'  (It's not ringing at all!!)  There should be a 'Completely Dead' button to click!  I have been around and round in circles but it seems impossible to report a fault like this and book an engineer visit (despite what the website implies)  How do I report this and get it fixed?

Thank you

David F