cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline stopped registering incoming calls

keeop
On our wavelength

Hi,

Can someone please check my phoneline etc.? My landline has stopped registering incoming calls. If I make a call to my landline, I get the ring tone on the phone I am using and if I pick up my home phone, I then have a connection. But, there is no 'incoming call' notification on the home phone, no ring tone, no caller ID coming up. The last call that seems to have been registered was at the beginning of October and since then, it's like we have had no calls, even though we have had a couple of messages left!

Has anything changed your end please, as it seems to be more related to the information getting to the phone than a problem with a the phone itself, although, I don't have a spare phone to check this unfortunately. If everything checks out OK your end, then I guess I'll have to buy a new phone and see if that works.

Thanks.

Keeop

7 REPLIES 7

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi keeop,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're having some issues with the line. 

Just to confirm, when calling your landline if you pick up the phone you can answer the call as normal?

When picking up the line in general is there a dial tone?

Alex_Rm

keeop
On our wavelength

Hi Alex_RM,

Yes on both.

Cheers.

Keeop

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for sharing more on this, keeop.
We'd love to see if the 'silent incoming calls' issue also happens with an alternative handset or another socket in this case (if any more telephone sockets are available to test this).
Please, try borrowing a device that we know it works from your neighbours or friends & family instead of buying one for the time being, just to test it and let us know if the issue persists.
We'll be happy to assist further based on this feedback, if you do need a new handset we'll advise this too and make sure it's the right thing to do and resolve this.
Best regards,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

keeop
On our wavelength

Hi Adri,

Only have the one socket unfortunately. Managed to get a different phone to try. This one also doesn't ring but the phone did register the call coming in and displayed the ID. But yeah, still no ringing. Very strange. Does this point to anything your end? Has anything changed in the last 6 weeks or so that may cause this sort of behaviour?

Cheers.

Keeop

Hi @keeop 

Thanks for coming back to us.

I'll send you a PM now to get some details.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

keeop
On our wavelength

Just in case it helps anyone else....

I had an engineer visit and he himself admitted that he was not a telco expert and wanted to 'fix' my issue by moving me on to the digital phone network. This is being rolled out across the VM network but is not officially taking place in my town as yet but doing it is the standard fix rather than messing about with the old phone systems.

However, with the positioning of my hub/modem in relation to the current phone socket, this was going to be a right pain in the proverbial and would mean me losing my 'office' phone. I explained this to the engineer who was totally onboard with it and said he would speak to a colleague who was more 'old school' and could deal with the old phone systems. He would get him to come out and have a look and if he could fix it, great, if not then the only option to get the phones registering the incoming calls again would be to switch to the 'plug the phone in to the hub' method.

Anyway, the other engineer came the next day, fiddled in the cabinet, and hey presto, got my current set up all working again! Thank you again for that. The issue was with some equipment in the cabinet which had just failed due to age.

I'm not sure when my area will need to switch to digital but hopefully not for a while yet so I can continue to use my current phones as normal. As soon as the switchover is forced upon me, I will either just cancel the phone element altogether or get some new phones that can do landline or IP and go whichever service works out cheaper. 

So, thanks chaps.

Keeop

Hi there @keeop 

Thank you so much for popping back to us, I am so sorry that this issue was a little more complicated then first thought, but I am glad this has now been resolved. 

All landlines with all providers will be moved to a fibre connection the completion date for this is expected to be 2025 with all lines switched. 

When it is time for you to be moved we will send out an email along with the adapter to plug into the Hub. If anything needs to be moved at all to sustain this then you can book an appointment for an engineer to take a look either by calling 150/0345 454 1111 or we are happy to help here. 

Thank you again and please do pop back to the forums in the future should you ever need any help.