Menu
naboo
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Landline port still not happened

Had Virgin install done on Friday 21st and I am supposed to be keeping my existing landline number I had at SKY

The engineer who was here I think spoke with the number port dept whilst he was here and I am not sure if there was a problem

He said it should happen in 24 hours but it is now Tuesday evening and it still has not happened

I requested this at sign up and reiterated it several times since. I also did not cancel with SKY and kept the line in service to ensure a smooth porting happened

I have had a lot of my time wasted over the past few weeks with the off shore call centres with failed promises and at times, just blatant lies.

I would appreciate if someone on the forum could look into this please

0 Kudos
daniel2004
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline port still not happened

Has your Sky been cancelled yet as once a number has been ported it automatically closes your account with your old provider? Check by plugging a phone into the 'Openreach Master Socket' in your home and check if there is a dial tone.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello naboo,

Sorry to hear that you're still waiting for your landline port from Sky over to ourselves. I've had a peek at your details using the information we have on here and can see that the port has been arranged and accepted by Sky. I'm unsure why you was told that the port would be completed in 24 hours as some ports can take up to 10 days to complete. 

The order for the port is open and accepted for the port date which will be in a week's time and please wait for that time to pass as our Telephony Department will have triggered the port. Do pop back here if you have any problems after 7 days from today so we can make sure the port has completed successfully.

Thanks,

Lisa

naboo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa 

Thank you for the information 

That is exactly the clarity I require

I have been told several different versions of what the number porting process entails and none of them have been true

I had a feeling it could take up to 10 days I just needed it confirmed by someone who knows what they are talking about and not from Virgin sales/web chat/off shore call centres/tech installers who quite obviously do not with some of the rubbish they have spouted to me in the past few weeks

I do have my old phones in the existing Sky line and a new set of cordless deck phones in the Virgin hub

Still have the old line and the new Virgin line both active and once my new cordless phones start ringing in place of my old phones I will know when the port has happened 

Thanks again 

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey naboo,

Yep, if you keep the extra phones plugged into your Virgin Media and non Virgin Media sockets, you should be able to still use your normal number and the temporary one we give you. 

We never install with a port so we can make sure that the landline aspect is installed correctly and doesn't result in a failed install. For some ports, and this depends on each customer, we may approach the losing Operator and sometimes we have to approach the Range Holder of the number as well and for the port to succeed, we all must be synchronised. 

Just be just to pop back on here as it's a quick check for us to make sure it's all smooth 😉

Thanks,

Lisa

naboo
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline port still not happened (NOW HAS BEEN COMPLETED)

Just checking back in to update

Had a letter from Sky last week telling me they had a request from another provider (Virgin) to take over my landline, which as a consequence would also terminate my broadband with them and it would be on 3rd September.

This was good news and in line with what Lisa stated

I kept my existing dect cordless phones on my Sky provided connection and my shiny new cordless dect phones on my new Virgin line

The new phones had not rung all week except for the weekend when I had one of those "your broadband is going to be disconnected and to press 1 blah blah blah" scam calls.

I had forgot today was the day the port was happening and then this afternoon the new phones rung and it was my Mom. I asked how did she know the new Virgin number as I had not given it to anyone, and she said she had rung my normal number she had been ringing for years, then the penny dropped 

SUCCESS.  The number port has happened 

I checked the old phones in the Sky line and they were dead.

So for anyone switching from Sky, and I guess it is the same for other type of providers, this is what I did.

At sign up for new Virgin install I stressed that I wanted to keep my existing landline number from Sky. I told them what number it was I wanted to keep and virgin requested a number port on my installation 

Now the info was a little sketchy on how this works and initially I contacted Sky and put a cancellation on my TV service phone line and broadband which was 31 days notice 

THIS WAS A MISTAKE.

It is important that for the number port to be successful, my existing phone line with sky is NOT cancelled and needs to have no cancellation notice on it

So I got back in touch with Sky and cancelled my cancellation for the phone and broadband. I kept the TV package cancelled though

• My initial Virgin install was supposed to be on the 12th Aug, but because I had initially cancelled then reinstated my Sky phone line, this meant an 11th hour hiccup  with my Virgin install and the day before I got a text telling me my install would be another 10 days on 21 Aug. This is due to Sky not being able to release the line in time due to my cancel/un cancel

I had drama on my install day (which can be seen on another post) and the Virgin installer said my number port would take 24 hours, which I now know to be untrue and it would take 10 days

To today where the number has been successfully ported

So if you need to keep your existing phone number it is VERY important you do not ask for a cancellation from your existing provider on the landline as the number port will not be successful and if you do initially cancel then reinstate, then it will probably delay your install date by 10 days at least

vlain
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline port still not happened (NOW HAS BEEN COMPLETED)

Very helpful advice! I would like to re-iterate the fact that Virgin need to be more clear at the sign up stage how the number port will happen rather then leaving it very skecthy and also customer service not giving correct picture of the porting works. Especially for someone who is coming from a BT based phoneline!

My experience of Virgin customer service so far is abysmal to say the least!

Customers just want to know the true and accurate details rather then being fobbed of with half truths!
0 Kudos