Menu
Suejones3
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Landline port dead

Landline is connected via hub.  Need wall port to be live to enable some functionality on alarm.

Do I need an engineer to attend.?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline port dead

Hello

You cannot have both the hub connection and the wall socket active and you cannot switch back to using the wall socket, what VM can do is install an extension from the hub to a wall socket if you have an per-existing installation this will be charged at £99 as a non fault call out and you may have to wait as it is classed as non-essential work due to the current lock-down and VM are not doing non-essential work at this moment.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Suejones3

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I just wanted to pop along to advise that the information provided by our VIP @DJ_Shadow1966 is indeed correct; as you have your landline via the Hub, the wall sockets will no longer be in use or be activated. 

At the moment, we are not doing any non-essential home visits due to the pandemic - activating and installing extensions comes under this bracket I'm afraid. 

Thanks

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Suejones3
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both.  Are you saying it is possible but not in the present circumstances dueto Covid?

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Suejones3

We can install an extension in a fashion but it's not like the traditional extensions or sockets. 

With an extension on our VOIP line, you would have cables running from the Hub to where you wish the extension to be.

We are not doing any non-essential works due to the pandemic I'm afraid - we may have more update after the lockdown has ended. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Suejones3
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok.  Just to clarify I have moved into a new build. Phone points are already installed but not live.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Suejones3

From locating your account from your forum information I can see you do have our VOIP services where your landline is via the broadband Hub. We would not have installed the phone points in your home. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
Suejones3
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As I understand it when the houses were built phone points were installed to enable them to be made live by whichever Provider the householder chose.

I appreciate you are not doing any work of this kind at present but when we get back to some norm I assume it is possible for you to make this live?

Just wanting to know whether that is an option or not to enable an additional function on my alarm to be activated.

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As an alternative to using VM to link the phone sockets to the hub, you could see if you could find a reliable and reputable local installer to do the work since this type of work is not being done by VM at present. Most areas have local independent telecoms/data cabling engineers etc. who should be able to do that kind of work.

As an aside, are you aware that if there is a power outage, or the VM hub is offline for any other reason, then your VM landline phone function will also stop working which in turn means your alarm would not be able to dial out on the VM landline. Alarm companies usually now offer some kind of mobile/SIM dial-out connection powered from the alarm battery to get around this problem.

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Suejones, 

We cannot transfer a VOIP to a normal line, we can install an Ebul, but we cannot guarantee 3rd party equipment will work such as alarms.
Zoie

0 Kudos