cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline phone receives calls but doesn't ring

hatfactory
Tuning in

For the past few days my landline Virgin phone receives calls, i.e. someone calls and their number comes up on screen and I can answer and speak to them, but the phone doesn't ring and it doesn't go to answerphone as it normally would either. I've tried everything with the phone itself (it is a cordless two phone set up) but to no avail. I have been reading around online and some people have said it could be an exchange problem? Is there a way for Virgin to contact me on here and test my line and/or exchange please, to make sure it isn't a problem with the line itself? Obviously if it's purely a problem with the phone I will have to be buying a new one! I should add that we connected another old landline phone to test and that rang with a weird sqeaking sound rather than as it should sound. Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Is your VM landline provided via a conventional telephone wall socket or from a connection on the back of the hub?

If you have tried two phones, and they have the same problem, that sounds like a problem with your line.

You could also try your two phones on a different phone line (friend, neighbour, family member etc.) and confirm they work OK elsewhere.

If so, that would also suggest a problem with your line. You will get a reply from the VM forum team on here within a few days.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi hatfactory, thank you for posting on our help forums and for joining the VM community.

A warm welcome on board! 🙂

We're sorry to hear you're having issues with your landline not ringing although it seems to work ok rather than that, we'd love to best assist with this.

As you've explained you tested another handset and this gave a ring tone although not what was expected to sound like this may be a device-related problem.

Can we confirm if you have a dial tone when picking up the handset and before you dial a number out?

Also, is the phone connected to a VM master socket (with the VM logo on it) or an extension and do you have more telephone sockets to test this on and see if it works?

Lastly, have you activated your free voicemail service at 1571 but still no calls go through to voicemail when they're not being answered?
Or do you have an answering machine connected on the line which does not work, is what you mean?

Let us know more on the above and we'll be eager to help you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. Yes I have a dial tone and everything else seems fine - it is just the ability of the phone to ring (due to a line issue or the phone itself) or to go to answerphone.

I don't believe I have any other 'live' phone sockets to test this on. It is connected to a VM master socket in the wall, not a hub or extension.

I think our answerphone is on the phone itself, I don't think it is the 1571 service.

Thanks again

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Great, thanks for getting back to us with all this info.

We'd love to assist further, can you please kindly have a read here in regard to the landline migration and let us know if you'd be happy to switch to a landline via fibre?

We do have a process of migrating our customers' landlines to work via fibre optic (hub) which would potentially resolve the problem if that's from the line itself.

Let us know if you're eager to get that sorted and we'll be happy to make arrangements.

Alternatively, or if you're not happy to do this please see if you could try borrowing another handset and check if there's a ring when receiving calls or the problem persists?

Cheers,

Adri
Forum Team

We're not sure about moving to fibre yet but if I PM you would you be able to check the line for any issues please? Could you also check if we have been put down already for the move to fibre and this may be causing the issue? Many thanks.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for sharing more on this, hatfactory.

If you haven't receive any communication from us about the landline switchover then most likely it's not happening for your area yet.

We have the option to switch the line instead of a booking a faults visit in case this requires an engineer to attend, however.

I will send you a private message here soon so we can look further into this problem.

Please, check the top right-hand side of our page to find a white envelope.
Click on this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team