Menu
caryl576
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Landline phone problem with some but not all incoming calls

Since yesterday I've had problems with my virgin landline not working with some incoming calls

when an effected number rings me they don't hear the normal indication that the line is ringing just silence,

my virgin landline does ring but when I pick it up I hear either nothing or a slight echo, and the person calling me doesn't hear me talking or get any indication I've picked up. If put the phone down and they're still connected the phone will start ringing again.

the effected numbers are landlines calling me in the midlands from different parts of Scotland (BT and  PlusNet) , mine is the only number they seem to have a problem with suggesting the issue is at my end.

I've tried switching telephone at my end and that has made no difference (but reassures me it isn't an equipment problem in my house)

I've had my neighbours & other people locally call me without issue on landlines (Sky), and I can be called from a variety of mobile phones (Sky/02/Vodafone without issue)

I've rung the virgin 150 call centre and they ran line tests and couldn't find anything wrong

I've rung them again and once more their line tests come back ok, they suggested checking with the numbers calling me to see if there is still a problem and there still is

I'm now waiting for the call centre to get back to me again but wonder if there are any suggestions of what the issue might me?

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Landline phone problem with some but not all incoming calls

Hi Caryl576,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear that you're having these ongoing issues with your landline when receiving incoming calls from certain people.

From what you have said, I'll need to take a closer look at the account, so I'm going to pop you a private message. Just click on the envelope icon at the top of the screen.

Thank you,

Melissa 

0 Kudos
caryl576
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline phone problem with some but not all incoming calls

Well the engineer came round on Tuesday and when he tested the line it was apparently working again without him doing anything except plugging in his test rig handset,

it worked OK for the rest of Tuesday & Wednesday morning but by Wednesday evening the problem was back again and some landlines are not able to call in

(although I can call out to all landlines & mobiles I have tried and mobiles and some landlines can call in)

I've been in contact with the engineer again today (Thursday) and he says they're now seeing a lot of similar issues that appear to be effecting numbers that were originally ported from BT (I don't know if mine was as it was an NTL/Telewest line when I moved in, but it certainly could have been a BT number previously)

The engineer says he and his manager is trying to get BT to fix whatever the issue is but doesn't know when it will happen

0 Kudos
Dave_H
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline phone problem with some but not all incoming calls (probably 50%)

I've been having this same problem for several months now. Because of the Corvid-19 issue we (are having to) use this phone more often and it has become a real issue. It is happening on probably 50% of our incoming calls on this phone. A hub reboot makes no difference.

I have tried changing the phone with no effect (problem still happens).

There is a way around the problem - note the number, tell the caller you will call back (you won't hear them), then call back - which works OK. But it is a real nuisance when using the phone frequently.

Does anyone have a fix PLEASE????

NB Our phone was ported from BT to TalkTalk to VM. We using voip on a VirginMedia hub 3.

Would appreciate help on this ASAP.

Many thanks, Dave

0 Kudos
caryl576
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You need to get virgin involved, there is nothing you can do at your end if it's the same problem that mine was, the work needs to be done on the backend of the phone system by virgin &/or BT

I'd guess an engineer visit is unlikely, but maybe a Moderator with a line to Virgins tech dept will see this and pass on your request

0 Kudos
caryl576
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Might be worth direct messaging Melisa F the MOD who posted in this thread and seeing if she can see what she did last time as i'm no sure if it was her or my engineer and his manager that got the problem fixed in the end as both were working on it

0 Kudos
Dave_H
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Carly
0 Kudos
daz9643
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave, I had a similar sounding problem to yours, as I very rarely use my landline I never bothered getting it fixed until last year when I had an emergency and then wished I had. My mum is the only person that’s call me on my landline and it’s always from her landline and it was never a problem, however, try ringing it from a mobile and it wouldn’t ring. Engineer came out and tested the line and he said it’s fine so I proved it by asking him to ring it. They had to get the experts (BT) to fix the problem, when I moved from BT to Virgin the number hadn’t been ported correctly, the good news was that I received a very nice credit on my account >£100 for not having a working line. Hope this helps

0 Kudos