Hi Nick, thank you for coming back to us.
I am sorry to hear of your landline issues and understand your concerns due to your ongoing situation at home.
As you would prefer we do not send a technician just yet I have a few questions for you which will may help us troubleshoot further.
1) You mentioned the phone occasionally rings just once - has this happened at any specific times or dates? And if so has there been any pattern to this happening? (Eg, it always seems to happen at 1pm on a Wednesday)
2) You mentioned a screeching noise happening occasionally - does this happen only from inbound calls? Does this ever happen when making outbound calls?
3) Do you have a consistent dial tone? Are you noticing this also drop alongside the other issues?
4) Are all of your telephone features also working? (1471, Caller ID, Voicemail, etc)
5) Have you received any reports from friends or family of trying to call you but not getting connected (meaning you are not receiving all inbound calls)?
6) If the answer to number 5 is yes, are any of these missed calls coming from landlines or mobile numbers from a specific network or service provider? If you have any examples this is excellent, just let us know (Please don't feel the need to post any of these on the public thread to keep this data secure, we can send you a PM to get it at a later date if needed.)
We will do our best to offer further support from the information provided. Sadly with Landline faults particularly they can be complicated and require a technicians visit to identify and resolve. Hopefully we can move forward with this from the answers you provide to start with.
All the best!