cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline phone not ringing

mcclink
Tuning in

Hi. 

My landline phone started ringing the other day. There was nobody calling me. As soon as I hung up it rang again. Then again and again etc... The line was very crackly too. The ringing was now constant. The only way to stop it was to unplug it from the wall. It would start ringing as soon as it was plugged back in.

The next day I tried plugging it in. It didn't ring but I was unable to make or receive calls. I went out and bought a new phone.

The new phone seems to work ok but it doesn't ring at all. I have been through the settings and the ringer is on at full volume.

There are no extensions in the house. The cable goes straight to the master socket and that is where the phone is plugged in.

I think there is a fault with the line.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, mcclink.
Thank you for joining our help forums and for your first posts here, a warm welcome to the VM community. 🙂

We're sorry to hear of the issues with your landline recently, we'd love to help out.

Upon our latest checks we haven't found any faults in the network that may have affected your line, could you please tell us whether your handset is set to Pulse or Tone (P or T) in case you can check as there's a little switch for this at the rear or bottom of it?

Also, can you tell us if you get a dial tone before making a call out and are you able identify when a call is being received at all?

Have you been able to test other devices since the line was up and running again to see if the ringing issue is still present?

Let us know more and we're glad to assist you further.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi.

Sorry for the late reply.

The line still isn't ringing. I can dial out and receive calls without any problem. It is just the lack of the ringer to alert me to any incoming calls.

Thanks

No worries 😊 Thanks for your reply.

I'd recommend checking our landline help page here to see if this helps resolve your issue.

If you still need help with this, let us know. We're always happy to assist.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@mcclink wrote:

<snip>

I think there is a fault with the line.

Thanks

So, in summary:

* you are connecting the phone to the master socket
* you had the unusual experience of the phone constantly ringing
* the line was crackly too
* the phone kept ringing and you had to unplug it
* the next day the line was dead
* you bought a brand new phone
* the new phone makes/receives calls but still does not ring
* you have checked the ringer setting for the phone is on

I think you have already tried all reasonable steps that you can test yourself. At this point I too would also think you might have a fault with the line.

Hi

All of the above is correct.

Thanks

Thanks for confirming all that information @goslow posted is correct.

As you are still having issues with this I'll be happy to investigate further. I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so this can be done.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules