cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline phone not ringing after fibre switchover

eric16
Joining in

I have just installed the fibrephone adapter to my HUB3. There is a dialling tone and I can make calls, but when I receive a call the phone doesn't ring (I can hear the caller). It is an old BT phone.

I understand from other posts the phone needs a "capacitor" to ring.However the ebay seller linked is out of stock:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393200143905?hash=item5b8c8e0e21:g:2KQAAOSwaF1gUjK7&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA...     (Virgin Hub 3,4 or 5 Telephone Adaptor RJ11 Plug - BT Socket with Ring Capacitor)
Could anyone recommend another supplier that sells RJ11 adaptors with a ring capacitor please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
12 REPLIES 12

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey eric16, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear this.

If it's an old phone it could be easier to get an upgrade on it as not all phones are going to work with the new digital line unfortunately. . Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thank you for attaching this link Client62.

I hope it helps. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I have just installed the fibrephone adapter to my HUB3. There is a dialling tone and I can make calls, but when I receive a call the phone doesn't ring (I can hear the caller). It is an old BT phone.

I understand from other posts the phone needs a "capacitor" to ring.However the ebay seller linked is out of stock:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393200143905?hash=item5b8c8e0e21:g:2KQAAOSwaF1gUjK7&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA...     (Virgin Hub 3,4 or 5 Telephone Adaptor RJ11 Plug - BT Socket with Ring Capacitor)

Could anyone recommend another supplier that sells RJ11 adaptors with a ring capacitor please?Add ta

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should avoid multi-posting the same question. An alternative supplier is listed in your other topic via forum member Client62.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-phone-not-ringing-after-fibre-switchover/m-...

cm56
Joining in

Hi we have recently been switched over to VMs fibre phone system and we have the same issue with everything working apart from the ringer on the handset

Our phone is a 2 year old BT advanced phone with call blocking and worked fine before the switchover

Based on other comments it looks like we might need an adaptor with built in capacitor

Why is it down to customers to sort this , surely Virgin Media should have provided adaptors that actually work

goslow
Alessandro Volta

It would be surprising if the ringing capacitor issue was the cause of the problem with a 2 year old phone. The capacitor issue normally applies to phones from the early 2000s era or before.

The BT advanced phone has, however, been mentioned quite a few times in the past with a range of different problems when connected to the phone socket on the hub.

Is it just the non-ringing issue that is the problem? Often it is the call screening features which fail to function (specifically 'unknown' calls break through the screening process).

Hi Goslow thanks for your message, i have tried plugging in a BT big button phone from around 2015 and that works fine.

As far as i know the only issue we have with the BT advanced phone is that it doesn't ring, Although there may be a problem with the built in answer phone which was working fine before the switchover.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You'll need to refer to your manual for these suggestions ...

You can check the phones are registered to the base by using the 'paging' function. Press 'Find' on the base and all the handsets should ring for up to 2 mins. Press 'Find' on the base again to stop paging. This will confirm the ringing function for internal calls is OK.

The system has a 'Do Not Disturb' feature (where the system remains silent for incoming calls) Check that is not enabled.

Check the volume levels for the base/handset and check the handsets are not muted in any way.

The handsets and the base each have a level of 'soft' reset you could try. Beware of the option to reset user data though which will wipe your personal data (contacts, messages etc.)

The nuclear option is to totally reset the system and remove batteries etc. and go back to the beginning which would wipe everything. No guarantee that would work though although some have reported success on here for clearing problems with BT phones so use at your own risk if you decide to try that.

Making sure the batteries are fully charged before doing any new setup is advised.

The BT phones used to have a dedicated 0800 product line for each type of phone where you might get more model-specific help. Have a look in the manual and the footnote on each page to see if the product helpline is shown. You could try it and see if it is working and can offer any suggestions.

Ref the answer phone, have you checked to see if VM has turned on its own voicemail after the switchover and see if that is grabbing missed calls before your own answering machine picks up?

If you know the big button phone rings, and the cordless phone works, but without a ringing sound, you could temporarily plug the big button phone into a splitter alongside the cordless base station so that you get a ringing sound for an incoming call. This would give you a bit of time to see if you can find out what is wrong with the cordless phones while still getting a ringing sound from the big button phone.