cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline phone has just stopped working

toptail
Joining in

My Landline phone stopped working today. There is no dial tone, and it will not receive incoming calls. I have tried a different phone in the socket, and I have tried all the other suggestions.

I believe there is a switchover on-going to fibre phone calls, but I have not received any notification that this was about to happen.

I hope someone at Virgin can help me with this please.

8 REPLIES 8

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi toptail, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

I am very sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues with your landline service. 

On checking from our side, I can confirm that there have been no outages logged and the issue is not in relation to the migration. 

Can you please confirm if the connections leading from the wall to the equipment are secure and without damage?

Thank you 

Nat

Thank you for your reply. The connections from the wall to the phone look fine and are not damaged. I have also tried two different phones in the socket, one cordless and one corded (brand new, I only bought it to test the line!), and neither of them work. The wall socket has not been disturbed and is showing no sign of damage. I have also checked the line outside as far as I can, and it all looks ok.

The phone line is still not working, and there is no dial tone. The broadband internet seems to be working fine, so it is just the phone that is the problem. The phone was working fine until yesterday. I don't think there is anything on my side that is causing the problem, and I am now two days without any phone. Please advise me on how this can be resolved.

Thanks for coming back to us @toptail, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me, and I'll arrange for an engineer to visit your property to fix this issue.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thanks for coming back to me @toptail

I've been able to find your account and have booked an engineer in for you.

The booking can be found and re-arranged via your self-care account

Do feel free to keep us updated with how the visit goes.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thank you for arranging the engineer. I cannot access the 'self care' account, the link just hangs. I have the details in a text message, and the date and time are fine.

Thanks for confirming this @toptail!

Can you please advise me if you've been able to try accessing the self-care account on a different browser? Or after clearing the cache on the browser you're using?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

My phone is now working again, thanks to a very good engineer who traced the problem back to a fault at the exchange. He had it fixed in less than an hour, with the minimum of fuss and intrusion.

It is just a pity that the excellent service by the engineer was marred by the fact that even though I reported the fault to the forum on a Saturday, it was not until the following Thursday that the engineer attended. I was without a landline phone for five full days, and this is surely not good enough. Whilst compensation has been offered, I would like to point out that people use their phones at weekends too!

Overall I have been very happy with the service levels I get from Virgin, it is working fine most of the time. But when I had a problem, I just got the feeling that the whole help system is designed more for Virgin's convenience and cost saving rather than the customers.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Well, it's really good to hear that this was sorted by the engineer. Thank you for letting us know. 

We would always provide the closest available appointment every time toptail - I assure you that there is nothing more to it than that. I apologise that you feel this way but I am happy it is resolved. 

Cheers,

Ryan.