cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline or handset problem

Woodbutcher1960
Tuning in

Hi.  I just had my installation carried out yesterday.  Broadband and TV working fine and Im very happy with the new speed 😁.  The engineer plugged in my old handset (BT 3710) and could not get a connection.  After a little bit of fiddling around he connected up his own line tester and everything seemed fine.  Plugged the old phone back in and nothing!  I noticed that the phone is labeled as an 'analogue' handset.  Does this mean it won't work when plugged in to the router/hub?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

It is important to note many of the older BT phones will only work with the factory supplied cable to a wall socket or with the factory supplied cable + a VM supplied adaptor to a VM Hub's TEL 1 socket.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

There should not be a problem with your BT phone system.

Have you checked all of the connections are fully clicked into place?

Try flexing the connections where one part of the lead from the base plugs into the next e.g. lead to base, lead to adapter, adapter to hub. This will check if you have a cable fault of some kind.

If you press the 'Find' button on your base do all your cordless phones ring (this 'pages' the handsets to confirm you have a link between the handsets and base). Manual page 17 below

https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/legacy-ug/phones/BT3710%20user%20guide.pdf

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Woodbutcher1960 thanks for your post although we're sorry to hear of your concerns although great news on your new broadband speed 😊

Please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into this further for you, if still unresolved.

Kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Client62
Legend

Did the engineer try either with a different adaptor or with an RJ11 to RJ11 phone cable in place of the original BT supplied cable ?

Woodbutcher1960
Tuning in

Solved. Thanks for the reply @client62 . I'd thrown away the old cable because the instructions said to use the cable supplied by VM. Turns out that using the old cable with the adapter was the answer. All good now. TY

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Woodbutcher1960, thanks for your reply and for keeping the thread up to date.

We're delighted to see our very insightful member Client62 above has offered some useful advice and you've now managed to resolve the issue.

Sorry to see you had to switch to your old cable for this to work, please do give us a shout here if you face more issues with the landline and we'll be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Client62
Legend

It is important to note many of the older BT phones will only work with the factory supplied cable to a wall socket or with the factory supplied cable + a VM supplied adaptor to a VM Hub's TEL 1 socket.

It's a shame that the installation engineer didn't seem to know this. 🙁