Menu
DizzyChris
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Landline number transfer

Hi, we have moved in to a property which previously was signed up with Virgin. We requested that the landline number the previous occupant used we would continue to use. We now find the number has not been transferred to us, instead replaced by a Virgin number. According to customer services the previous number has been returned to BT. When completing the application form I made it clear we wished to keep the number. They have taken my mobile number and will investigate if the number can be retrieved from BT. I’m not convinced that will happen. Can someone assist?

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline number transfer

Hi DizzyChris,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear that there's been an issue with keeping the landline number already registered at the property after signing up. Can you please confirm if you joined us as a new customer, or was the existing Virgin Media account at the address transferred into your name?

Many thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
DizzyChris
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth, I’m a new customer. I’d arranged with the previous owner to take over the number. It’s frustrating as we had tried to be organised and advised all companies, medical and dental services of the number.

It gave me an option on the application form to keep the addresses number which I selected.

Can you help?

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

For the number port to be done the previous line would need to stay active for the port to complete successfully as once the line is disconnected the number will go back into the pool where it can be reassigned. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
DizzyChris
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for coming back. Can I request that the previous number is reassigned to me please. No one at Virgin media was in touch to advise this could not happen, reading the transfer process on your web page Virgin would confirm if this could not happen. 

I’m struggling to understand why the application form allows the option to keep the number at the address you are moving to when as you say the previous occupants service will be cut off on move day, therefore the number will go back into the pool?

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You can request the number however, if it's not on an active line it would not be 100% possible as there is a chance it's already been reassigned. 

If you've been in touch to put through port requests it takes 14 days to go through and if possible it would automatically change.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
DizzyChris
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Yes I’d like to place the port request. How do we request the port? Can you do this Emily?

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

We can see you've been in touch regarding this already, did you not request the port in these? If so, did 14 days pass?

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
DizzyChris
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

When I spoke to CS last night, they said they would put a request through and they would be in contact within 48hrs. 
I just was not convinced that she entirely got what that we wished to to have the number ported back. 
I came across this forum and thought that I might be able to get some further information. What would you advice be?

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Good morning.

You'll need to speak to the original number hosting company for this number, ask them to make it active again. Then if it's active, we can put through a porting request. 

What's happened here should never have happened as it's two completely seperate accounts. 

The only way this should have been able to happen is that you would have done a transfer of the old account that was previously at the address and not have a new customer account. The form does state keeping a number, however, this is a number you previously had with your previous provider. Sorry for the confusion regarding this

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos