Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Landline number not recognised

Hi,

I have recently signed up with virgin for home telephone, broadband, mobile. On signing up I was explicit that I wanted to keep the same landline number as we have had this number for 30 years which I was told was fine. On attempting to call home today it said 'number not recognised.' I need my landline number reinstated asap. Noone is able to get through at present and as explained this is the same home number we have had for over 30 years so we absolutely do not want this number removed at all

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline number not recognised

Hello

Did you ask your previous supplier to cancel you phone account ?

If you did then the line port would have been refused by the previous supplier, as to be able to port a number both lines have to be active, and the number you are porting from must not have a cancellation order on it. This is following the rules as set down by Ofcom.

The only  way around this is too contact the previous supplier and get the line re-instated, as when the port is requested by Virginmedia to the previous supplier once they have completed the port the previous supplier will then close the account.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The previous supplier was Virgin as well but the account was with my brother who moved out and cancelled the account. I have then signed up with Virgin and informed them explicitly at the time that the phone number must remain the same.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi saba3, thanks for contacting us. When was the account cancelled and when did you get installed? Did you ever get a date when the service would be ported? It would depend on the timeframe as the number may have gone back to BT ^Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

My brother cancelled the account and his cancellation date was last Friday 6th November. I signed up for my service to start on Thursday 5th November. When I spoke to the service agent when I was signing up I explained all this and the fact that we needed to keep the same number and he said it was fine. He didn't mention me needing to do anything else. When I returned from work on Thursday the broadband was working fine so we didn't think anything of it.

I just spoke to a service agent on the phone who tried to contact the number port team but said that she couldn't get hold of them since its Sunday so she would call them tomorrow and then call me back. I am praying this will work.

Can I ask why the number would have gone back to Bt? We had virgin before and tlak talk before then and BT before then? Should I call BT to ask them to keep the number? I am sorry to sound so fraught but we have a family member who has been missing for a decade and this number is one of the ways that they could contact us so we have very very personal reasons for needing to keep this number. I really appreciate people's support and am trying to stay calm but want to do anything I can to make sure our landline number stays with us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Some numbers are owned by them and would go back to the original owner. I will send you a private message so that this can be looked into further - Chris 

0 Kudos