forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
areebhussain321
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Landline number lost when renewing contract

We’ve been a virgin media customer for years. We decided to renew our contract and do it on my name instead of my husbands name because there was a new customer offer.

Ideally we switched from Virgin Media to Virgin Media.

We requested the number to be transferred over, they told us to wait 10 days and it will be transferred.

Has been months, number is not transferred over as promised, called VM they said the number is not active and belongs to BT.

We called BT, they said the number doesn’t belong to them. We’re just going back and forth.

The landline number is : [REMOVED]

This number has been with my family for over 20 years, and all hospitals and schools have this number for emergencies.

It’s ridiculous how much effort it is just to transfer over a number. And I am not satisfied with the way the companies, especially VM, have been handling it, 

Especially as they promised us saying it would transfer over in 10 days and to not worry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline number lost when renewing contract

you can't port a number between the same provider.
0 Kudos
areebhussain321
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So what would you recommended now? What is the best way I can get my number back? We really need this number.

please any help will be great

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi areebhussain321, thanks for the message, in order for us to complete the number the line would need to be active. A number port cannot be done with a de- active line. You mentioned that this was a Virgin to Virgin number, can you confirm if this is at the same address? Chris

apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

good point. that is why Ports on VM to VM can'rt happen.

1) The old line must be active with no cancelation on the account.
2 ) the new line must be active to port a number to.
3) 1 must be disconnected before the new account (2) can be opened.

So no porting from VM to VM can;t happen.

This is a drawback of playing the system for new customer deals at the same address for he came people
0 Kudos
areebhussain321
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Whoops I accidentally ticked this message as the answer, sorry I’m new to this!

I can confirm it is the exact same address post code, etc. Only difference is that we just put it on my name instead of my partners.

0 Kudos
areebhussain321
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

We weren’t purely planning on ‘playing the system’ we just wanted to change the account holder name to mine so it would be easier for us to manage the bills. 

I understand your point however, and I am sorry and we should’ve been more considerate with our move. We thought it would still port over as we aren’t that much of experts with this stuff.

Please if you could just help us get the number back in any way possible It will be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

changing the name should have been a move and transfer.

I don't think the number can be recovered if its already been canceled. For security reasons you can't pick a number, you get its assigned randomly. This is to stop someone asking for a number to get a 2-factor code from a bank etc
0 Kudos
areebhussain321
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ok I appreciate the information however that’s not really useful in this situation as I can’t go back. 

we just need our old number back, we’ve realised it was a bad idea and we just need as much help as we can get for this, hopefully it can be sorted out

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

then you need to wait about a week here for Virgin media to reply or call in.
But don't get your hopes up
0 Kudos