cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working

roybab
On our wavelength

I had an engineer visit to put in a cable so that my landline could still be used in my hall when the new system of using the Hub was introduced.  The landline has now stopped working with the message "Check Phone Line".  I did all the usual indoor checks, and then checked the cabling outside.  I noticed that the new cable had not been fixed to the wall, but was laid under the shrubbery on the garden. Tracing the cable back to the box on our external wall, I noticed that the cover was off and that one of the wires had become disconnected.  I have tried going online to report this, but keep going round in circles on the help pages and of course my landline doesn't work to ring up.  How do I get someone to sort this out?

11 REPLIES 11

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi roybab, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear your landline service isn't working. 

If the new system has already kicked in, the phone itself should now be plugged in to the back of your hub and not into the wall socket. 

In order to help look at this, there are a few checks we will need to go through with you. Can you let me know the following please:

• As you're connected through the Hub can you ensure the adapter is plugged in correctly and reboot the hub?
  • Do you have an alternative handset you can try in the Hub to see if this works?
  • When lifting the handset to call a number, do you get any tone or message at all?
  • When dialling your number, does your landline itself ring?

If you can come back and let me know the answers to the above. It's possible we may need to get an engineer out to you so please ensure you come back to us here 🙂

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

roybab
On our wavelength

Hi Kath

Everything is plugged in as it should be and I have rebooted everything.
I have additional handsets and none work.
There is no tone on the handset, it's completely dead.
Tried ringing from a mobile and the mobile says it is ringing, but the phone doesn't ring and dead when you pick it up.

It has been working okay ever since the new cable was installed.

My guess is that as the cable was left on the ground and we did not know that, that the cable was inadvertently pulled when gardening and that is maybe how one of the wires was pulled out at the external box.  The cable really needs attaching to the wall.

Roy   

Hi Roy, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

It certainly seems as though we won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi roybab, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you another message to pass data protection and then confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the fault as not being caused by our network/equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

roybab
On our wavelength

H Kath.

Have signed in and the appointment is not showing yet.  But it does say wait one full day if an expected order is not showing.

Thanks for your help in getting this visit sorted.

All the best
Roy 

Hi Roy, 

Yes it can take up to 24 hours to show on My VM so shouldn't be too much longer. 

If it's not there tomorrow though, let me know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

roybab
On our wavelength

I did get a text through giving me an appointment for Saturday, which I want to change, but the link to change it did not work.  So I will go back in tomorrow as suggested.
Roy

Hi Roy, 

As the appointment is unsuitable, I'm happy to get it changed here to avoid any delays. That way we can secure you the next earliest appointment then. 

I'll need to confirm a little more information with you to do this so have sent you another private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi roybab, 

Thanks for taking the time to come back to me via private message to let me know how the visit went. 

I'm glad it went well and things are resolved for you now. 

If you have any further issues, don't hesitate in coming back to me. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team