cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working

maxlugg
Dialled in

Hi,

My landline hasn't been working for at least 2 days. I get a dialling tone but any number I ring is engaged. When someone calls me, my phone rings but when I pick it up I get the engaged tone again.

The support page of the website doesn't work (it just goes round in a loop). I've tried calling support on my mobile but after being on hold for 5 minutes I was disconnected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@maxlugg wrote:

Sunday 11/09/2022:

I'm pleased to report that at 9.00 pm yesterday I found that my phone is working again! The first time since 11th July, 8 weeks and 5 days ago. It hadn't worked in the morning so the fix came sometime yesterday afternoon (10 Sept). 

If someone could report here about what the problem has been that would be great. In any case, I hope it has been recorded somewhere so it can be fixed much more quickly the next time!

Glad to read your line is working again. You will be due significant compensation (£445.20 by my back-of-envelope calc's) for such a long outage. If you have not done so already, have a look over the OFCOM requirements for compensation

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

in particular para 23 which defines TLS and which can sometimes differ from VM interpretations which are described on here.

From skim-reading your topic, I would suggest that your issue was potentially different to the SNR issue and that conflation probably delayed VM from fixing your problem. The fact that your issue is also being linked to the SNR fault will, no doubt, be the route VM uses to try to limit what compensation you should be due if the SNR issue was intermittently fixed over the period. You are right to request an explanation from VM as to what they claim the lengthy fault was caused by.

Hope you manage to get a decent chunk of change for all the hassle and delay.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

64 REPLIES 64

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi maxlugg, 

Thank you for your post. 

Really sorry to hear about the issue you've been having here. Upon looking at our system I can see that you are on the 21CV/fibre platform with your landline - at this moment in time, there is a SNR fault in your area. This can affect services with your landline, and would be the cause of the problem at this moment. The fault reference to this is F009957214 the ETA on this is 20 JUL 2022 09:00. I apologise for any inconvenience caused during this period. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

I had a callback on my mobile from support who gave me the same message. However, the 20th of July has come and gone and it is still broken.

There is a dial tone but all numbers I call give the engaged signal. The phone rings but the caller is disconnected as soon as I answer.

I have rebooted the hub several times and tried a different phone but the result is always the same. 

I have been without a home phone for 10 days, can somebody please look at this urgently.

Hi maxlugg,

Thanks for coming back to us. We do apologise that you're still without a working landline after 10 days. Checking your account the area fault has now been fixed but as you're still experiencing issues we may need to book an engineer for this issue.

We appreciate you rebooting the hub and trying another handset already. I will pop you over a private message to take some details from you. Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi maxlugg

I do apologise but the fault has re-occurred and the estimated fix time is the 25th of July. I do apologise, as when I check before I brought you in for a private message this had cleared and now has updated.

I have sent you a private message with more information about our automatic compensation scheme. The link is here for reference https://virg.in/autocomp

Unfortunately, until, this issue is resolved, we will be unable to appoint a technician for you.

Kind regards Jodi. 

I had a text this morning telling me the fault is cleared, but it wasn't so I replied to the text. I've just had a second one telling me it is fixed - I have rebooted everything but still have no phone service.

Can someone please book me an engineer to fix this?

Hi @maxlugg

I am sorry to hear your phone is still not working.

I just need to go through some diagnostics please before we can arrange an engineer. 

If you could please answer the below questions that would be much appreciated. 

Could you please confirm the phone is seated in the base correctly and powered on?

Are you using an extension socket?

Please pop back to me when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Vikki,

Yes, the phone is seated properly. I have also tried a different phone with the same result.
I am not sure what you mean by extension socket. The phone's base unit plugs into a short adapter which then plugs into the top phone port on the hub.

Thank you.

If you haven't done so already, could you please try rebooting the broadband hub?

Please pop back to me when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi,

Yes, I have done that already. Still the same.