cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not working on second phone

Vicki85
Joining in

Recently new to virgin. Had installation done 1 week ago.  (Still in change over period from old provider(

Have 1 phone line but 2 ports. 

Had to have the primary port changed to the second port . 

Now the original primary port not working?. 

Phone is linked in correctly . Phone Will ring when someone calls however unable to make calls from it. No dialing tone nothing. 

Can anyone suggest a resolution please. 

Has the installation guy cut this port off ?? 

All was working fine before change over 

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Hero

BT style telephone sockets are a 3 wire connection one of the wires is disconnected for the contact 2 or 5.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Vicki85 

Welcome to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your landline at this time. When you with your old provided to you have the additional ports open for another number at all or are you saying that the extension/master sockets are no longer working?  

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley 

Thank you for replying 

I have 2 ports for my phone line a master port and an extension port for the same phone number. 

The engineer who came to do the installation made my extension port the master one due to it being nearer to where the modem would go hiwever now my original master port doesn't work. 

Kind regards 

Did you advise the engineer that you still wanted an extension in the home? I believe they would have removed this service if not advised to wire it for continued service or do you have a wireless handset that can be used for multiple handsets across the home?

Here to help 🙂
Carley

I did not advise the engineer as he said he would just switch the extension port to the master one. I assumed that the original master port would still work once the change had been made. I have a wired phone in the new master port and a wireless handset in the other port but only the one handset. 

You wouldn't need to plug your wireless handset into the socket as it will communicate with the main landline wirelessly. 

What is the handset you're using? the make and model?

Here to help 🙂
Carley

I do have to plug it into a phone socket. It will not work otherwise, it also has a answer phone on it aswell.

The make is a Panasonic model KX-TGC220E.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for this reply and for explaining more, Vicki85.

Sorry to read about the issue with your extension socket not working after the switchover as it was not set up to connect with the line via fibre upon our engineer visit.

We'd love to see how we can assist with this, I will send you a PM here soon so we can have a look for you.

Please, check the top right-hand side of our page to find a purple envelope.
Click on this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs