cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not ringing out

Jjay33
Tuning in

My mum who is 85 has a problem with her landline not ringing out when it’s called. I have tried a different handset and the issue is the same. I can hear the ring tone on my mobile and if I answer the landline when I ring the number on my mobile it connects. Calls can be made from the landline. I have tried this with two different handsets. Neither handset is set to mute. 

The landline is connected directly to the wall socket. Her virgin router is a Hub 3.0.

I read other users having a similar issue on here so thought it would be easier to post here than going through a contact centre, as I have already tried to diagnose if its a problem with the handset and it’s not.

5 REPLIES 5

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jjay33,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry to hear that your mum is unable to hear incoming calls currently.

We do appreciate you trying alternative handsets, and that you don't have the phone set to mute.

Can we ask if you mum has any other equipment attached to her line, eg extension sockets, fax machines, modems.

If she does, please can you make sure these are all unplugged and your just using the main phone in the master socket.

Can you let us know about the above, as we will need to arrange for a technicians visit for your mum.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi

She has two other handsets but they are linked to the base unit, not directly plugged into a line. There are no other devices using the phone line. Only the main base unit for her handset. 

Thanks

Jane

Hi Jane 👋

Thank you for getting back to us! This is really helpful information. 

At this stage it will be best if we send you a PM to confirm a few account details so we can look into this further and offer additional support. It may be that we need to book an engineers appointment to get this resolved. 

You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Jjay33
Tuning in

My mum’s phone is working now. The engineer asked if she had been contacted about the switch to VOIP, and when I said not, he said this isn’t unusual. Virgin are waiting for customers to complain before sending an engineer rather than telling people before the switch happens. All he had to do was plug the landline handset into an adapter on the back of her hub and now it’s working as it should.

I’m pretty angry about this. How many other elderly people, often housebound and not all with mobile phones, are sitting at home unaware their landline is faulty and thinking that nobody is calling them. Thank goodness my mum has a mobile but not all 85yr olds do. It’s a pretty shabby way to treat the people who most rely on a landline these days. 

Thank you for the update Jjay33. I'm unsure why the engineer has advised that. We are sending our correspondence to customers regarding the change and what is needed. I am sorry if you didn't receive that. 

^Martin