cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not ringing or making calls

sbawillis
Tuning in

Hello - since I received a new hub my home phone is not making or receiving calls. I spoke to a Virgin person on the phone who said it is a problem with my handset. That it does not have an adequate REN number - but our REN number is 1 - which I understand is perfectly adequate for fibre.

Please help

11 REPLIES 11

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @sbawillis 

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with your landline. 

We can understand the inconvenience caused and we want to best help. I can see you very recently contacted our team who advised that the REN value needs to be above 1. In this case, it may be best advised to use an alternative handset. Please let me know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Client62
Legend

Does your phone have a dial tone and make outgoing calls via the new Hub ?

Does your phone have a dial tone and make outgoing calls via the telephone wall sockets  ?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The 'REN number is too low' explanation is a gobbledegook answer that the CS agents find at the end of their scripted prompts when they have run out of other options. There have been past topics on here where the customer has gone out to buy a new phone only to find the problem remained.

You may possibly need a new phone (but this does not happen very often in the topics on here).

Are you connecting as below (VM adapter into the TEL1 socket on the VM hub and then plugging in the phone using the original connecting cable that came supplied with the phone)?

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

Are you able to try a different handset (borrowed from a friend, family member, neighbour)?

When you connect the phone, is the line totally dead or does it partly work (say for incoming or outgoing calls only)?

If you dial in to your landline number from a mobile, what sounds do you hear (ringing, engaged, unobtainable, voicemail)?

Do your telephone wall sockets still work?

What make and model of phone are you using?

THEGUYVER
On our wavelength

Exactly the same here, it works via the socket as it has always but as soon as i connect it up to the new hub it don't receive in or out going calls. These changes are great when they work but why am i not surprised there's issues ..it is Virgin Media after all. What do YOU recommend VM?...and don't say a new phone as your service is costing me enough already!..

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Has VM given you a switchover date to move to the phone connection from the VM hub?

It is an either/or setup, wall sockets or hub.

Sometimes the switchover gets 'stuck', or doesn't happen remotely, and the wall sockets continue to function in which case a tech visit is required.

But the hub phone connection only becomes active once it is set up by VM.

THEGUYVER
On our wavelength

Yes, it should cease to work after the 12th Oct. But recently i was upgraded to a new hub and adapter and told to connect them up within a few days of receiving them...but since then it hasn't worked at all?

Do you think it will work after the 12th Oct via the Hub??

Kev

Hi @THEGUYVER,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your landline service. If it still works when connected to the wall socket then it means you haven't been switched over yet. When the switchover happens you should then connect the landline to router using the adapter.

If you have any other issues, please do let us know.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hello

A virgin engineer came round and confirmed it's not my hub, or my phone, or the line - it's something to do with my account. Since changing my contract it has not worked....

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @sbawillis,

Sorry to hear this, did the technician confirm what specifically with your contract is causing the issue with your Landline?

Joe