cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline not ringing after fibre switchover

tina-marie
Joining in

I've plugged my landline into the hub after the fibre switchover that happened yesterday.  All is fine as in I have a dial tone and can make calls however the phone itself is not ringing.  When I test the ringer I can hear it on my mobile and if I pick up the landline I can receive the call. 

I have no other phone socket in the house to test if it's the phone however it was working fine yesterday and I don't have another phone I can use to test.  Can anyone help as I work from home and this is going to be a real issue if I can't get it to work.

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Is it an old phone (early 2000's era or before)?

It's post 2000 but more than 10 years.

@tina-marie wrote:

It's post 2000 but more than 10 years.

One possible explanation is that some older phones require an electronic component present in a traditional telephone 'master socket' to make the phone ring (namely a ringing capacitor). This is not present/required in a phone connection from the VM hub for use with modern phone equipment.

Suggest you try another modern phone (borrowed from a friend, family, neighbour) and try it in the VM hub and see if it rings.

Alternatively, If you happen to have an old ADSL microfilter around at home somewhere, some have been able to test the non-ringing issue by adding one of these in to connect the phone (VM hub phone socket>VM adapter>ADSL microfilter>phone handset cable)

The ADSL microfilter, with a ringing capacitor in it, can test if that is your issue. Not a permanent fix but might help identify if that is the problem.

Could also be a fault/problem with the line but the above would help you work out which it might be.

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi tina-marie,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. This is a strange scenario as you are still able to receive and make outgoing calls, just not able to hear the ringer on the handset. It may be that your handset is not compatible with the new set up. 

You advised that you are unable to try another handset in the back of the hub to eliminate the equipment.

Are you able to borrow a handset from a neighbour or a friend to eliminate this? We only ask as if a technician is booked and the handset is causing the fault, there will be a charge for the appointment.

Please can you try this first and come back to us if the problem persists.

Kind regards Jodi.