Menu
MandSW
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Landline - no dialling tone, shows a line busy

I get no dialling tone. If I dial, the display on the handset says 'Line busy'. Tried calling in via wife's mobile but it rang once and then nothing.

Checked service status but results were, quote, 'inconclusive'. City Fibre are upgrading in this area (GL2) and have recently been and gone from our street. I do not wish to go ahead and buy a phone on the off chance it's my phone rather than the network.

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline - no dialling tone, shows a line busy

Hi @MandSW

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here. 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your landline but we can certainly look into this for you. 

Just a few questions, 

When you try ringing the landline does it ring at all? 

Does it also make any noise when you ring from it? 

How is the handset connected? Is it via a wall socket? 

Please do let me know. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MandSW
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

From the phone calling in to the landline, it appears normal. Phone was ringing but no one was answering, even after I had picked up the handset.

On the landline, the phone rings but you pick up but hear nothing.

When you try to ring out, you enter the numbers on the number pad, press green for 'go' and you hear absolutely nothing.

Handset connects via a wall socket.

The battery display on the handset shows a full charge.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us MandSW

Can you please advise me if you're phone is connected to the master socket or via an extension socket?

Do you have any other pieces of equipment connected to the phone line?

If so, please disconnect all other pieces of equipment, with the handset being the only device connected to the phone line - via the master socket and re-run the tests please

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
MandSW
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi David

As far as I am aware it's the master socket (phone cable splits off in a box on the outside wall). There is only the one phone connected to the socket. No other sockets or phones.

I've re-run the service status test - still shows inconclusive. Phone still acting as described in original post.

Mark

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @MandSW,

Would you mind providing a photo of the phone socket that the landline is connected into? We can then confirm if you're connected to a master socket or an extension socket.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MandSW
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I tried to load the photos of the external box and internal socket, but the file sizes were too big and I don't know how to reduce the file size. The photos, that had to be emailed to me by my daughter, I have now sent to you by email just before 11.30. However I have now received the automatic response telling me to go online.

There were two sockets in the house, the other was disconnected years ago so we now only have the one (with one socket in it).

I bought a new handset anyway and the problem remains the same, so...

A bit of history:

The line to the house was put in by Telewest (now a Virgin company) but was put in far too shallow - literally just below the surface. The cable was cut through by accident about 10 years ago when a fence post was being put in, and was repaired by a Virgin engineer who agreed the cable was too shallow. The cable was still shallow as the orange 'box', I presume housing the repair, was visible on the surface!

The post was renewed about 3 months ago and because the cable was too shallow, the workman renewing the post went through the cable again (phone and internet). He repaired the cable and all was working fine. Over the last couple of weeks City Fibre have been upgrading the cabling in the area. Assuming this is a network/cable problem it is not clear if it is the cable from the road to the house, or 'road side'. If it is the cable to my house and the problem is the repair carried out recently, I should not be charged as Telewest never installed it correctly.

Hope this helps.

Mark

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello MandSW

Thanks for trying to send the pictures 

I thank its best if we got an engineer booked to come out 

I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

0 Kudos