cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline issues

smf412
Tuning in

We have an alarm, every time there is a power cut or someone accidentally turns the plug off at the wall, it disconnects the phone line and sets the burglar alarm off. Obviously this has only been happening since the phone line has been connected to the router. Does anyone else have this problem and why have Virgin made us put the landline thru the router and not have taken this problem into account? Surely by now virgin shd have come up with a workaround. 

10 REPLIES 10

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello smf412, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

I am sorry to hear that losing power to the equipment causes your alarm to activate. 

With the switchover, we cannot guarantee compatibility of all third party devices with the new set up.

Information on the switch and FAQ's can be found here

Thanks, 

Nat

Sorry I don’t see that it’s anything to do with third party equipment. It’s quite simple, the power to the router goes off, the phone goes off. It’s not the fault of the equipment connected to the phone, it’s the simple fact that the phone line deactivates. BT are not disconnecting the analogue lines for another two years, maybe virgin shdnt have forced us to switch over to the digital before they’d got bugs like this out of the system? Apparently you can provide an emergency call bypass so if the power goes EOS e can still make emergency calls, shd this not be extended to cover burglar alarm calls? Strangely I don’t think we’re the only ppl in the country having this problem? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Is this a feature of the particular alarm?

Your alarm should have a battery pack inside to keep power running in the event of a power cut. If the alarm is sounding when the mains power goes off, your alarm battery may not be working properly.

If it is the loss of phone line triggering the alarm (rather than loss of power), your alarm provider may be able to offer a failover option to a mobile connection when the landline goes down.

Check with your alarm company on what the intended behaviour should be during a power cut. They may have some workaround ideas.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply.

We do offer an EBUL but this is intended for vulnerable customers using a careline or reliant on the landline in the event of an emergency. 

Unfortunately, we cannot offer a fix to the current issue of the alarm sounding when switching off the Hub/Phone but would recommend speaking with the provided of the system to see if they are able to offer guidance. 

Thanks, 

Nat

It’s not the power to the alarm, the alarm is monitored through the phone line. If the phone line fails, the alarm registers a fault bc it can’t send the monitoring signal. We didn’t have this problem before you changed the hub based line. 

I have been complaining about this issue for over a year and only today did someone tell me this was a possible option. I’m assuming all this does is ensure the phone line does not disconnect which is all I ask. Do you require to send an engineer? Yes please. 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply. 

On checking with my colleagues, an EBUL would not be suitable and would not stop the alarm in the event of the power being cut on the equipment. 

With this being the case, please do reach out to your alarm supplier for further assistance. 

Thanks, 

Nat

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If it is the loss of phone line that is triggering the alarm, ask your alarm provider what GSM/mobile backup options are available, either as a failover to mobile alongside the landline or as a replacement for the landline.

Some alarms can take and add-on card inside for a mobile connection, some can use a third party separate device.

Whichever phone/broadband provider you use, you will be offered a phone-via-router connection for the landline so the alarm issue will persist even with a different ISP.

cymru123
On our wavelength

@smf412

Just to say Openreach are implementing a nationwide stop sell this September (2023) of traditional phone services that use the PSTN/WLR. Sky, BT, and many other have already started moving their customers onto their own Internet based phone service like Virgin are doing too.

The PSTN is completely closing in 2025 so all end users must be off it well in advance.

I've also just read the latest PSTN/WLR closure newsletter and this bit is worth a read:

"BSIA launched an awareness campaign back in 2019 directed to the alarm industry raising awareness of the All IP programme and its ‘call to action’ campaign continues to run today, so we are pleased that many alarm service providers are actively engaging their end-user base to provide professional advice on updating alarm signalling equipment where necessary. But this remains a challenge for the reasons highlighted above. There are All IP compatible solutions on the market today, including those which not only use the broadband connection, but can also use the radio / mobile networks across the UK.

The alarm industry cannot enforce change on end-users to update their alarm signalling systems, and time is running out for end-users that do not recognise the need to have their alarm signalling systems checked and updated if necessary. The challenge is for all the telecommunications industry players and industry sectors (like security, fire, telecare etc.) to work together to send out a consistent and clear message to end-users on the importance of having their connected services checked for compatibility to operate across the All IP network. "

It's recommended that all alarms are upgraded to use an all IP network rather than just plugging into an Analogue adapter (e.g a ATA) and also use mobile network as a secondary path to a ARC.