cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline isn't working

Pat85
Joining in

As of the 13th June 2023 my landline no longer works, no dial tone and when people try and call my number they get an engaged tone or a "call failed" indication and I last received a call on 12th June 2023. I reported this to Customer Services (using a mobile phone) at 14:04 on 13th June. I was told that it was possible this was due to some work being done at a nearby street cabinet, although I do not have anything in writing to confirm this. I was told that it may take up to 40 hours to resolve the fault. Since then I have received no updates from Virgin, and the problem persists unchanged.

On 13th June a service status check was showing problems with TV, but not with Phone (however I wasn't experiencing any TV problems!). These alleged TV problems were "fixed" later that day.

I have a care alarm system connected to my telephone, so at present I am without this very important personal aid.

This is becoming a a completely unacceptable situation.

4 REPLIES 4

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Pat85, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.
Sorry to hear your landline has not been working for you. Can you please advise, if you've tried using an alternative handset?  Also, is your phone plugged into your hub, or a traditional phone socket?   It sounds like it could be that we've switched the service over to 21st Century Voice. If this has not happened, then for future reference, you may wish to check for potential faults in your area here.  That link would also allow you to login and book a technician if required.  Also, if you still have the traditional phone socket, connection you may find here and here, useful.  However, as you've reached out to us, I would love to have a look on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message.  Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.
Regards

Hi, yes I've tried both of my cordless handsets.  I also tried switching the base off and on.  The website service status currently indicates no faults in my area (!).  I'm not aware of the landline having been switched over to VOIP.  The two self-help links were not of any use.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

I can only speculate, sorry. In regard to your landline. I booked the first available tech for tomorrow. Between 12:00pm and 4:00pm.

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee, the landline now appears to be working again.  The service resumed at some point just after 9am today.

Please can you cancel the technician appointment for me.  The link in the email to the "appointment" page is not correctly formed so it doesn't work.

Thanks