Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Landline installation

When I had phone installed I was unable to port the original number from Sky through a BT line, but there are both a BT box and an old telewest box which was working with the old number ,as we were using VM a few years earlier. I got on to Virgin to ask for the new number to be activated through the Telewest/VM box ,the operator said this was not possible because it had been disconnected and I can only use the hub,Surely this incorrect, think he did not understand that I had a telewest/VM box there and just needed it activated with the new number, been trying to ring, but just keep being put on hold for 30mins . Can this be confirmed that this can be switched on as it's inconvenient not having a phone downstairs ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline installation

all new phone lines are VOIP and connect via the hub so the agent was correct

VM can add a physical box connected to the hub but not sure if they just place it as near as possible or if they would wire it to where you want it - that may or may not come as a chargeable install 

wait for VM to get to the thread they should know exactly whats possible regarding adding a new box

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for a quick response ,Tony

the point was it's not a new install a Telewest/VM box is already installed downstairs and surely it's just a case of opening the new number at the exchange to make the line active . If I was not having broadband surely this is what they do ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

its not a new install of BB but it is a new install of a telephone line - i take your point but afaik even though you have a cable from the cab thats now old tech so its gone - all new lines are VOIP

as to just a phone line i dont believe they do that - might have done at one time but not now [i think]

VM will get to the thread and may say it differently - wait for them

Tony
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tony, Actually have an old incoming VM landline box as well as cable ,that why I can't see why my old VM telephone landline cannot be reconnected with my new number , no new installation is required !! will wait until VM see this thread , as there's no point in ringing been put on hold 3 times in 3 day each time for 30ish minutes😠

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

the landline no longer comes down the wire from the cab - its VOIP - completely different - afaik they will not connect you via the box inside 

Tony
0 Kudos