Menu
scottpawsey
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Landline down, literally down.

Our landline phone hasn't had a dial tone for a couple of years, and we disconnected it. Six months ago we discovered the probable reason when we found the landline lying in the road, rotted off at the telegraph pole.

I curled it up and put it in our front yard, filled out a contact form with BT Openreach and waited for them to eventually come and fix it.

Seems that isn't going to happen, and I need to contact Virgin Media who will then contact OpenReach, who will then fix it?

I've tried to report it on the VM website but it only gives me the option of booking an engineer, which repeatedly fails anyway. I don't need an engineer, I need BT OpenReach.

I'm currently paying landline rental to have a coil of old wire hanging off my brickwork. I wish to sell the house, so want it fixed.

How do I report this and get it sorted please?

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline down, literally down.

Virgin Media don't use Openreach cables. They have their own telephone network.

If you want the Virgin Media home phone fixed, then reporting it to Virgin Media will do that.

If you want the Openreach cables sorted, then you'll have to speak to Openreach or BT. Virgin Media can't do anything about that.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
scottpawsey
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

After trawling a few forums my understanding is as follows - Openreach is responsible for the copper wires that cover the country, inherited from BT. If they are broken, then you contact your service provider, in this case VM, who contact Openreach on your behalf. You cannot go direct to Openreach.

Now if you are seriously telling me that VM have their own network of special copper wires attached to telegraph poles then I must surely apologise for being stupid and missing something.

This forum and website exists for a reason - so surely I can report it on here. How do I do that?

Anyone?

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There are two residential physical phone networks in the UK. Openreach which were part of BT and most Broadband and Phone providers use, and Virgin Media.

Almost all of Virgin Media's telephone network is in the ground - it's alongside the coax cables used for the TV and Broadband service (Although Virgin Media are trialling using BT infrastructure to get their cable to people's homes instead of digging up roads and pavements).

The online route you found on Virgin Media's site should work to get you an engineer to fix the Virgin Media landline. This forum is designed to be a customer to customer support forum for the most part. Although there are staff here to help resolve long standing issues where other customers have been unable to help.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@scottpawsey wrote:
After trawling a few forums my understanding is as follows - Openreach is responsible for the copper wires that cover the country, inherited from BT. If they are broken, then you contact your service provider, in this case VM, who contact Openreach on your behalf. You cannot go direct to Openreach.

Now if you are seriously telling me that VM have their own network of special copper wires attached to telegraph poles then I must surely apologise for being stupid and missing something.

This forum and website exists for a reason - so surely I can report it on here. How do I do that?

Anyone?

Virgin have their own street cabinets, ducts & cabling. Coaxial cabling is far too heavy to be strung from poles, so is distributed underground. The phone cable is bonded to the coax as below:

Typical siamese phone/coax bonded cableTypical siamese phone/coax bonded cable

Cable telephone services were around long before Openreach was created or BT exchanges & networks opened up to competition.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You should have two phone sockets, an Openreach and a Virgin Media. If you switched your phone to VM some years ago you may not have noticed the installation of the VM socket. If you were to switch away from VM you just tell your new ISP that the cable is broken and they will get Openreach to fix it.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
scottpawsey
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks...

0 Kudos