Menu
ianknight
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Landline down - engineer found exchange empty of gear?

I've just had an engineer visit to rectify a fault with my home phone - no dial tone, it doesn't ring when someone calls me.

He's just checked the internal socket, the external wiring and he traced the fault to my local "exchange" - when he checked the local exchange he found it empty as if in the middle of an upgrade process (or at least that's what he thought was in process)

I've had no home phone since 24th August and he thinks it might take upto a week for the upgrade to complete, so I have two questions...

1. As I have no service - will I receive a credit on my account for money paid to you for a service you haven't supplied? (My Broadband and TV service is working fine)

2. I received no notice of the works nor advice to set up a "backup" - what would be the situation if I had a vulnerable person at my address?

He's talking about possibly a new hub for 21CN but apparently my number is ported so this can be tricky to do? I want to keep the number but I'm more interested in getting my landline back up to be honest & I'm concerned that I've paid for a service that you're not providing.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline down - engineer found exchange empty of gear?

1) yes
2) you should have registered as a vulnerable person with VM

Also VM do not use exchanges they are not like BT. its very unlikely VM would have taken all the equipment out of anywhere during an upgrade. they are done side by side.

It sounds like the engineer has been making things up. It sounds very unlikely
0 Kudos