cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline down again after power cut, can't get through to Virgin

p32hunt
Joining in

Once again; unable to make or receive calls on Virgin landline after a power cut. This seems to happen every single time with no help or explanation from Virgin's end. Service status is displaying as all OK.

Have checked handsets for faults, all displaying 'Check Phone Line' with no dial tone. When calling our landline from another phone number rings out but landline remains dead.

Called Virgin helpline; automated service proceeds to "run tests" but then hangs up asking to call back from landline WHICH ISN'T WORKING for test results. Doesn't seem to be any way of getting test results without starting the process over again. Comedically going around in circles.

Started a webchat complaint, no response. Tried social media, no response. Can't get through to anyone on the helpline.

Our landline number is the first emergency contact for our neighbour's care alarm, incredibly worrying how terrible the communication is for a communication company. 

8 REPLIES 8

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello p32hunt,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with the landline after a powercut
I'd like to take a look into this for you and arrange a Technicians visit to reconnect you.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for those details p23hunt.

Before I take a look a getting an Technician out. 

Can you please unplug your Hub for  30 seconds and unplug the phone as well please.

Sorry I never realised you have been put onto our Fibre Telephone service now.

Gareth_L

We're not connected to the fibre network, only just received the adaptor and been told the switch is not happening until 15 Nov. Currently connected to Virgin landline which has been down since a power cut on Saturday - something which seems to happen with the landline only every time there is a power cut.

Thanks p32hunt

Do you have the adapter we sent?

If so can you plug that in the first port on the back of the Hub and then plug the phone in.

See if it gives you a dial tone.

Gareth_L

No dial tone when connected to Hub, still unable to make or receive calls. Package specifically says the service won't work until the switchover date on 15th. 

This is too long to go without access to a landline and our neighbour's care alarm, and this happens every single time there is a power cut. 

Hello p32hunt,

I have now booked you a visit for the loss of dial tone  – you can check the date and time via your online account here  If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment
Can you please let me know how the visit went.
Gareth_L

A week until a technician visit, no landline service until then and the threat of a £25 missed appointment charge. Very hard to not feel like Virgin are purposely being as obstructive as possible.

Hello p32hunt.

We are very busy right now and we are sorry we have no earlier appointments available.

I can see if we can bring this forward for you.

The £25 is not a threat at all. It is just something we need to advise and be complaint about.

Gareth_L