cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline disconnected no notice

annemac12
Tuning in

My 93 year old father-in-law’s landline has been disconnected. He asked a neighbour to call me to let me know his phone wasn’t working. I called 150 from my phone and was told his line had been disconnected and was switching to broadband. He doesn’t have broadband!! Operator asked if he had a mobile phone so he had another means of contact. I told him no and that it was shocking that he’d had no notice of this. Operator told me a text had been sent a few days ago - how come when he doesn’t have a mobile??  After 40 minutes on call, operator says he has arranged an engineer to go out within 4 hours to get him reconnected. At first he said no appointments available until 19th May (this is  the 8th). I pointed out he is an elderly vulnerable gentleman who lives alone and he said he could arrange engineer within 4 hours. That was 3 hours ago so we’ll see…..  This is a shocking way to treat people. Not everyone uses internet and they should be checking this before summarily disconnecting the  landlines of vulnerable people!

4 REPLIES 4

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

Does your Father-in-Law have a VM TV service, or is it just landline only? The reason I ask is that, assuming that what you have been told by the VM rep is actually true (not 100% guaranteed), then his phone system has been switched from the legacy ‘phone plugged into a wall socket’, to the all new shiny, ‘phone is plugged into the back of the broadband hub’ type of connection. Now, as your FiL doesn’t have a VM broadband connection, then he won’t have a hub, so it’s all a bit academic!

Now before we castigate VM for doing this, did your FiL get a latter in the last couple of months, explaining that this would happen by xyz date, and to contact them to arrange for them to turn up and fit the required equipment? Quite possibly he didn’t, but we have to be fair and ask if he did, but didn’t understand it and ignored it - in which case we may have to give VM the benefit of the doubt here.

Anyhow, the reason I asked about the TV provision was that VM can and will connect up a ‘broadband’ hub for him. This hub won’t actually provide broadband service but is required to connect the phone up to. From VM’s perspective, the easiest option is to position the hub (and hence the phone) close to the where the TV service is - and this may not be convenient or desirable for your FiL. Otherwise we are talking about extra cables being run from outside and additional holes being drilled through the wall. I strongly suspect that this latter option is NOT going to be done late in the afternoon/evening on a Bank Holiday - and that assumes that the promised ‘engineer will be there within four hours’, does have any relationship to reality and not just a fob-off to get you off the phone!

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. I don’t think he’s had any letters. He usually shows me all and any he gets, but I will check as it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility that he got one and forgot. He has tv and landline so can they connect phone to tv box? If they do it’ll mean running a cable round the room. Still waiting…..

Well you weren’t wrong - it was a fob-off! No one showed up and the number I was given to call if engineer didn’t  show says call back during office hours!! Disgraceful service! 

Hi there @annemac12 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums.

In am so sorry to hear that this happened, I would be happy to take a closer look via a Private Message with you. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.