cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline disconnected and old number lost.

Vernon2
Joining in

Hi all, sorry if this is a bit long, I'm pulling out what little hair I have left!!

I recieved an email from Virgin at the end of July informing me of the switch to VOIP and asking me to contact them and arrange delivery of a new hub. I did this and had email confirmation but the hub was never delivered. I then discovered at the end of last week (29/9) that my landline had been disconnected. I called customer services to find out why and was told as I hadn't contacted them the line was disconnected - even though I did contact them. I arranged delivery of the new hub, it arrived a few days later and when it was setup I had a new number. I then rang customer services and was told that my old number had gone back to BT (the original owners) and as it was no longer active could not be transfered to me. I was told to ring BT and get it reactivated. I tried this and BT said there was nothing they could do. Back on to customer services again, twice, this time a complaint was raised and I got a call back from a manager yesterday (4/10), who again said there was nothing they could do to get the number back and I must call BT to get the number re-activated. She said she'd call me back today (5/10)

In the meantime I searched around this forum and found others with a similar problem and the only way to get a number reactivated was for VM to call BT openreach. When she called this morning I explained this to her but it was like talking to a brick wall, with her insisting that VM can't call BT and there was nothing that can be done and that is the end of the matter.

I've had this landline number for 41 years and don't need to explain the problems and stress it will cause if I cant get it back.

This is all the fault of VM, I did everyting I was asked to do yet they seem unwilling to resolve the problem.

I'd appreciate if anyone can help.

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Vernon2, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear this.

I have taken a look and I can see the team have been speaking to you a lot advising on what has happened. 

Normally this is the case unforgettably and once its gone we can't get it back if BT are saying this they could of give the number to someone else already.

Looking at the account and from the advice you have been given I am sorry this isn't the news you wanted. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Mathew,

Thank you for your swift response and you're correct, not the news I wanted.

I don't think BT has given the number to anyone else as when you call it you get a message that it is not in service.

As I said in my OP, looking at this forum some people have had success in getting their numbers back, so I believe it can be done, I just need to find the right people who will try and do the right thing.

We can of course take this to private message where we can look over this but reading this from our side its not looking good.

Even know we have done this before every case is different and we are no different from the people you have spoke to over the phone we don't have anything different we can do than the people who have spoke to you and advised you already. 

As mentioned every case is different but once the number has gone it has pretty much gone for good and will be recycled out.

Let me know what you think. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Vernon2 wrote:

Mathew,

Thank you for your swift response and you're correct, not the news I wanted.

I don't think BT has given the number to anyone else as when you call it you get a message that it is not in service.

As I said in my OP, looking at this forum some people have had success in getting their numbers back, so I believe it can be done, I just need to find the right people who will try and do the right thing.

Disappointing to read (yet again) on here that this keeps happening when VM messes up a landline switchover.

Have a look through this past topic (which was actually about someone moving to VM rather than a switchover)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Retention-of-landline-number-Complaint-address/td-p/...

where the customer did get their number back (after VM lost it) but mainly through the efforts of the customer. The customer even provided a number for VM to contact. A turning point was when VM forum staff Zoie_P referred the matter on to the 'right' person at VM to fix it.

Topics like this only seem to be successful when the issue is referred on to someone in VM who actually understands the porting process and is willing to make the additional effort to fix the problem.

AIUI, when a number is 'lost' it goes back to the 'owner' of the number (in your case BT) but the number then stays in a pool of disconnected numbers for a period of time before being reissued. I have seen various periods of time from 3 to 6 months mentioned.

You, as an individual, cannot speak directly to Openreach. All dealings to recover your number are on a business-to-business basis (VM to BT/Openreach)

In past topics, I have seen the process referred to as a 'favour request' (VM has to request a favour of BT/Openreach to make the line available again for porting)

You are quite correct that finding the right people in VM to fix the problem seems to be the key to a successful resolution.

Since, from your description, this seems to be VM blundering which led to the issue, then VM should be going the extra mile to remedy the situation.

Have sent you a PM Vernon2. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thanks Matthew,

We could continue via PM but I would be interested to know why you want to communicate that way. I would prefer and surely it would be better for our conversation to be out in the open, in case anyone else can offer some help. Do you agree?

In your reply you said ".....every case is different and we are no different from the people you have spoke to over the phone we don't have anything different we can do than the people who have spoke to you...."

The thing is the people I spoke to didn't do anything, they didn't try to do anything just told me there was nothing they could do and even when I pointed out that they should contact BT and get the number re-activated, they just flatly refused to do so.

Surely a little effort on their part to fix their error is not too much to ask, again, do you not agree?

Thanks Goslow for your reply.

I did read the topic you linked to yesterday which is what prompted me to start this new topic, it shows that it can be done.

I've had that number since before mobiles were a thing, for so many people and organisations that's the only way they know to contact me, it's so frustrating.

I'm hoping for a superhero to come along!

Please see your inbox Vernon2. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Perhaps the VM forum team can discuss with VM forum staff member Zoie_P to see if she can recall what she managed to set in motion, or who it was she referred on to, that led to success on the earlier topic mentioned above.

Number porting and renumbering typically take place in bulk via automated systems. I imagine bungled number issues like yours require an individual intervention from a real person to fix! Perhaps there is a cost involved to VM so maybe it's just easier for VM to say it can't be done and hopefully the customer goes away quietly to deal with all the implications of having a new phone number foisted on them.