On Friday, I called 150 from my perfectly functioning landline to request that the free Voicemail function be turned off. The VM operative seemed to struggle with my request, but eventually confirmed that she had done as I asked and that the Voicemail function would cease at some point within the next 24 hours. I subsequently received an email confirming my instruction. However, 24 hours later, I discovered that not only had Voicemail been discontinued, but the whole telephone service! No dialing tone, no atmospherics, no incoming connectivity - dead as a doornail. I then spent most of Sunday trying to get through on 150 on my mobile, but never managed to get to the top of the queue due to my mobile signal (Virgin Mobile) being so poor in my house, it frequently drops out. Today, after a 40 minute wait, I finally got through, and was promptly put on hold AGAIN, for a further 20 minutes. Then another tech answered, who had to go through all the security checks again as the original person had not forwarded any details. This tech put me on hold while she performed the line-checks again, but then mobile signal dropped and the call got cut off. I took my mobile out for a walk to a place where the signal is strong and waited with fingers crossed, hoping she would call back. She did, but only to tell me there was nothing she could do but to raise a ticket. I asked her what that meant. She said it meant nothing more could be done and that I must now stand by my mobile for someone else to call or text me at some point during the next 24 hours! I haven't even been given the ticket number, so I can't chase it up. What the heck is going on? How can a major line fault arise from a simple software switch? How long am I to be left without a landline? The mobile signal in my house is so poor, I can't guarantee that I will be able to receive the incoming call from the VM tech, assuming one of them does call me back - not to mention the problems it will cause to my work life. All this, at a point where VM is imposing a massive price hike on me.
I'm hoping a VM person will see this and at least be able to give me the ticket number so I know something is happening.
Thank you for checking on this issue - I never did receive that text or email to confirm that the issue was being referred on. However, I discovered this morning that the line had been restored, and just now took a call - possibly from you? - to check that all was in order, which it is, thank you.
As a point of constructive criticism, it would help if the 150 teams were trained in explaining things a bit better. I was given the impression that the work required sending an engineer out to ME, hence my anxiety that no-one had made any contact with a view to arranging an appointment.
I am still baffled as to how a simple thing like turning off the free Voicemail can result in a complete loss of service, but then again, the only reason Voicemail had to go is because VM was unable to increase the number of rings before a call goes to voicemail. (Something to do with being on the Telewest network, apparently.) But all's well that ends well - I now have a phone system that works the way I need it to, so I am a happy bunny once more.