Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Landline compatible phone

Just changed to VM and having so many problems with landline phone cutting out.  Customer services just keep saying as its a Docsis line we need an IMS compatible phone, werent told this when we signed up.  Does anyone know which phones are compatible?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline compatible phone

So attempting to translate the rubbish you have been told by CSC, I take it you are a VOIP customer, i.e. your phone plugs into your hub3?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes it does

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Then the theory is most handsets are compatible.

Ill ask the question behind the scenes, if there is limited compatibility (which I dont think there is) you should be informed at point of sale, and a list of compatible handsets should be provided.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear of this situation yok. Is the issue happening all of the time or intermittently as if it was the phone that wasn't compatible it wouldn't work any of the time. Are you losing WiFi or wired connection, when the issue is happening?

Have you got another cable that you could try to connect the phone to the hub with? We can then rule that out as possible issue. Sorry one more question, does your phone plug directly into the hub or do you have an adapter that plugs into the hub?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We have noticed that after changing to VOIP (the phone now plugs into the hub) the call guardian service on our phone handset has stopped working and withheld numbers are not challenged and come straight through.  This is on a BT500 phone using the Truecall system, simply put numbers not in the phones contacts, withheld numbers or overseas numbers are challenged.  The phone does not ring, the caller is asked to state their name then press #, the phone then rings saying we have an announced call and we hear the caller's name and decide if we want to take the call.  This is a great system and has worked well for 5 years.  We thought the phone must be at fault as Caller ID is enabled and working.  So we bought new phone BT Premium Phone, installed it, same issue.

At a loss how to try to resolve this, anyone any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You would probably be best off starting your own topic for this rather than tagging on an old thread but ...

Have you tried the dedicated BT helpline for the Premium Phone? The number should be listed in your manual. The online version on page 68 shows 0800 145 6789. They may have some specific knowledge about the product on VM via the hub.

Is the Premium Phone going straight into the back of the hub (not via any old extension wiring which has been reconnected to the new hub for you by the technician when you moved to VM/VOIP)?

The reason I mention this is that I recently set up a trueCall device (standalone unit) and it didn't work very reliably at all on my extension wiring although the CLI info was being displayed on the phone OK. I moved the trueCall unit to the master socket and everything worked perfectly. I wondered if the CLI information detection on the trueCall was a bit sensitive to where it was plugged in.

I have also read of trueCall having to make adjustments to their standalone units in the past to deal with slight differences in the way VM presents the CLI information. Most of those articles were quite old though. Something to do with the VM line voltages maybe I read? Again, these were for standalone units but the signal requirements may be similar.

Probably your best bet is the BT helpline to begin with. Hope you get it sorted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just to clarify, the phone(s) are the BT500 and the BT Premium phone.  Call Guardian/ truecall is built into these devices they are not stand alone Truecall devices.  The phone plugs directly from the master base unit into the Virgin Superhub no extensions are involved.  It may be that the way CLI is presented is the problem in which case both Virgin and BT need to make customers aware of the issue as more and more people are being moved over to VOIP in major DECT phones are not compatible then this fact needs to be made clear to all users.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi naxman,

Sorry to hear that the Call Guardian/Truecall feature that is on your handset isn't working properly for you. Can I ask whether you're able to make and receive calls normally and is it just the feature that is a problem?

I've had a look at your details and can see that you've recently asked us to remove a landline feature, has this helped?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos