cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline changeover but still has 50 volts on it.

chops
Well-informed

So the changeover was done and works via the router but when connecting my extensions I noticed the master socket still has the usual 50 volts dc active on the wiring. I was going to use the old wiring backfed from the router but had to isolate them from the master socket - when will the old system be finally disconnected  ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

It is normal practice for a BT exchange to service all lines at -48v ( close to 50 ) even when they are not used. The purpose is to prevent cable joint corrosion and this has been the standard policy for many decades.

In order to reuse the internal phone wires and to inject the signal from the VM Hub's TEL 1 port, disconnecting the Master socket from the external telephone line is the correct step to take.

The external phone line may remain powered until the day the telephone exchange is closed, so perhaps a bit of tape over the end of any bare cable is a good idea.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @chops,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and for your query. 

Once your landline services are switched over to our fibre landline connection, the landline service will no longer work when connected to the wall sockets. It can take a few days for for system to completely switchover, but once the switchover is complete, you won't be able to use the wall sockets any more. 

Is your landline still working when connected to the wall socket? 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Landline doesn't work anymore on the master socket but there is still a voltage (50V)  remaining on those incoming wires instead of them being completely redundant and isolated. So you reckon it will be a few more days before they are 'dead' ?

Client62
Legend

It is normal practice for a BT exchange to service all lines at -48v ( close to 50 ) even when they are not used. The purpose is to prevent cable joint corrosion and this has been the standard policy for many decades.

In order to reuse the internal phone wires and to inject the signal from the VM Hub's TEL 1 port, disconnecting the Master socket from the external telephone line is the correct step to take.

The external phone line may remain powered until the day the telephone exchange is closed, so perhaps a bit of tape over the end of any bare cable is a good idea.

Thanks for the explanation, I have removed the wires and taped them up so all ok. Presumably it would still work without doing so and the voltage present as there will be many customers who just backfeed straight in via the master socket to access their wired extension(s) connected behind the detachable lower faceplate. How do the VM technicians do it ?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

A VM technician could disconnect the old line at the master socket or maybe in the omnibox outside or maybe in the street cabinet.

There have been past mentions of problems linking extension sockets to the VM hub's phone socket if the old incoming phone cable is still connected, such as this recent one

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-being-moved-to-fibre-soon-Can-I-formally-re...

Disconnecting the old cable also prevents the new connection from the hub being fed out into the street.

Client62
Legend

Regardless of who does the re-wiring, to get a working system, the PSTN line must first be disconnected and then replaced with the feed from the VM Hub.

chops
Well-informed

It would have been helpful if VM could have included some of this technical information in their changeover letter along with supplying a much longer adapter cable for the hub such as 3 metres instead of 3cm !

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I think, from VM's POV, they would probably like to eliminate telephone extension sockets in the home from any future vision of residential telephony!

Confining the phone connection to one single point on the back of the VM hub, and pushing the idea that customers should move to cordless phones, would very likely make a big reduction in future maintenance, fault call-outs and other problems for VM due to phone wiring issues in the home.

Hence you didn't get any instructions on how to wire up your phone sockets!

Client62
Legend

Unless a telephone connection to a home alarm or a careline is required, I am surprised more folks don't take this as the perfect chance to ditch the ugly phone sockets and move to a modern cordless phone system with 3 or 4 handsets that can be placed and used in any location.