cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Switchover

PeteO1
Joining in

Hi I've just received my invitation to swap over to the new fibre network due on 13th February 2024. However I apparently need to book a technician as I have  additional phone sockets with phones connected upstairs. Downstairs I have cordless phones so don't envisage any problems with those. Keep calling 150 but unable to book an engineer. Can you help

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there PeteO1,

Thanks for raising this on our forums and welcome to the community!

We can get this arranged for you, may I ask however are you looking to switchover as soon as possible?

As we can get this sorted closer to the time if that works for you.

Let us know,

Kain

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there PeteO1,

Thanks for raising this on our forums and welcome to the community!

We can get this arranged for you, may I ask however are you looking to switchover as soon as possible?

As we can get this sorted closer to the time if that works for you.

Let us know,

Kain

Hi Kain

Many thanks for your prompt reply, very impressive. The Switchover is scheduled for 13th February 2024 so a date closer to this is fine.

Pete

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No problem, thanks for the update on this.

So we can arrange this I've dropped you a PM to discuss further.

The message will appear within the envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

sllowarch
Tuning in

I recently had a technician visit to connect my landline 'phone to my hub in order to switch to fibre. He was needed as my 'phone is downstairs and my hub is upstairs. Anyway, the work was carried out successfully. Following on from this, I contacted Virgin Media to request a reduction on my monthly payments, as part of my package included a £20 cost for landline rental. They informed me that if they were to change my package, my monthly payment  (which includes TV, broadband and landline 'phone) would actually, (wait for it) INCREASE from £102 per month, to £152 per month! Where is the logic in this? My landline phone now uses my broadband (Wi-Fi), the cost for which is included in my monthly payments, to send and receive calls, so why do I still need to pay the rental on a landline?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi sllowarch,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sincere apologies for the discrepancies with your package, you would still be required to pay for the landline rental as the number is still active on the account and owned by us upon a port request.

When is your package contract due to end?

Regards,

Kain

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@sllowarch wrote:

I recently had a technician visit to connect my landline 'phone to my hub in order to switch to fibre. He was needed as my 'phone is downstairs and my hub is upstairs. Anyway, the work was carried out successfully. Following on from this, I contacted Virgin Media to request a reduction on my monthly payments, as part of my package included a £20 cost for landline rental. They informed me that if they were to change my package, my monthly payment  (which includes TV, broadband and landline 'phone) would actually, (wait for it) INCREASE from £102 per month, to £152 per month! Where is the logic in this? My landline phone now uses my broadband (Wi-Fi), the cost for which is included in my monthly payments, to send and receive calls, so why do I still need to pay the rental on a landline?

Asked and answered many times over on here.

You pay VM for a landline service as part of your package which includes use of a phone number and maintenance and operation of the equipment to run the phone service.

In past topics on here it has been described that in the revised arrangement of phone-via-router, the same exchange equipment (which provides your phone line) is in use at present. It is just the method of connection that in the home has changed.

VM's pricing always promotes the idea of bundling services with a discount applied for more services. It has been equated on here before to a 'bulk buying' discount.

Many have used the landline switchover to reconsider the services they need/want. Some have ported numbers to VOIP providers. Some have opted to ditch the landline altogether which may mean leaving VM for a cheaper provider.

If you want to use VM's landline phone service you will have to pay for it in some form or other within the total package price. The name given to it (line rental etc.) is not really that relevant.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been trying that VM phone number since March 2023 - now I have no landline, keep trying: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-Disconnected-15-year-customer-told-to-take-...

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your cooperation over PM PeteO1,

The appointment is now booked in for you.

Do let us know if you have any future queries!

Take care,

Kain