cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Switchover

Stengle
Tuning in

I have just read the email about the home phoneline being switched to fibre.

My Hub3 is in my attic in Modem mode and has been for years.

My handset is plugged into the socket in my living room.

My wife cannot get into the attic to answer the phone so are there any other options?

Thanks.

Being 'Tech Savvy' can be a curse. But I love it. Even Luddites don't worry me.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply Stengle. 

Would you want to proceed with the relocation of the Hub by a technician? 

This would be free of charge and can be arrange on a date and time to suit you. 

Please do let us know and we will be happy to book the visit. 

Thanks, 

Nat

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Stengle, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

We do have two options we could send an extra long wire out or we could move the router somewhere else?

Please do have a think and let me know. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

A cordless phone setup is a further option but at a cost to you (cordless base station in the loft and cordless handsets around the home as required).

If you have structured network cabling from your loft and have a spare/unused connection to downstairs you could use an adapter kit like this kind of thing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCSL-Brand-Telephone-Structured-Cabling/dp/B007UGF3EU

to patch a phone connection downstairs. This is not a connection to a computer network but simply uses the Cat # network cable in place of a piece of phone cable.

Stengle
Tuning in

Hi Mathew,

Thanks for the fast reply.

Both options have difficulties.

Dropping a cable down through 2 floors and into the existing connector is technically feasible but difficult.

Moving the Hub presents the same issues but as I already have CAT6 dropped into the living room and the Fibre comes in on the ground floor it may be the best option. 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply Stengle. 

Would you want to proceed with the relocation of the Hub by a technician? 

This would be free of charge and can be arrange on a date and time to suit you. 

Please do let us know and we will be happy to book the visit. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Stengle
Tuning in

Hi, 

Sorry about the delay replying. Other stuff happens.

I have looked at the feasibility of brining the Hub down to the ground floor and have sorted out a workable solution. However I will need an engineer to relocate my Hub.

Could I arrange that here?

Thanks.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey, Stengle.
Thanks for your further replies and for sharing more on this issue with the hub's location and cabling, we're happy to have a look for you and help with the set up and an engineer visit. 🙂

For doing this, I'll send you a PM here shortly.
Please, check the top right-hand side of our page to find a little white envelope.
Click on this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs