cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Switchover

Catherine16
Tuning in

My switchover date is today 13 June.  

I’ve unplugged my cordless phone from the wall connection, plugged the adapter into the grey Hub1 in the back of the Virgin media box, plugged my telephone into the adaptor in the box.  

I’ve now waited more than the designated 2minutes (over one hour), and my telephone has no ring tone, stating check line, I’ve called my landline from a mobile and it’s ringing but the landline phone does not.  

The line is dead and cannot make or receive calls.  As I’ve a heart condition this is also a lifeline for me to call for assistance.  

All help is greatly appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Catherine16 

The first thing I would suggest you do is to turn off your broadband Hub, wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on.

When your broadband is fully working, check whether the phone is now working.

If the phone is still not working, plug your phone back into the old wall socket and see if it’s working.

If it is, the migration is not yet completed.

With your health condition, you should get Virgin Media to arrange to provide backup should your broadband or electricity service fail.

I would wait here for Virgin Media staff to comment further and arrange this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Catherine16 

The first thing I would suggest you do is to turn off your broadband Hub, wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on.

When your broadband is fully working, check whether the phone is now working.

If the phone is still not working, plug your phone back into the old wall socket and see if it’s working.

If it is, the migration is not yet completed.

With your health condition, you should get Virgin Media to arrange to provide backup should your broadband or electricity service fail.

I would wait here for Virgin Media staff to comment further and arrange this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SlySven
Dialled in

It might be worth pointing out that should your connection to VM over the broadband connection fail for any reason, including loss of power to your home then your telephone service will also go away. VM will, under certain circumstances provide an emergency back-up which will allow you to dial (only) 112 or 999 on your "landline" and route your connection over any mobile telephone network in your location in that situation. However this is far from a total solution as you cannot call anyone else - like say the power distribution network's emergency line (105) to report a power failure ( https://www.nationalgrid.co.uk/power-cut-information/how-to-report-a-power-cut ) !

Basically, keep your mobile topped/charged up...

==========================================================================
If MS Windows is the answer then you may not be asking the right question.

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Catherine16 👋 Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

Sorry to see that you've been having issues with your phone since your services were switched over, I can certainly understand the frustration with this 😔

I'll be happy to assist you with this, so I can do this, I'll send you a PM to confirm your details.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Thank you for your message 

I’ve also switched off the VM box and still nothing.  My daughter-in-law is helping me, and she’s plugged the landline back into the box on the wall.  And I now have no landline connection.  
My daughter-in-law has rung my landline with her mobile and it rings, but again my landline does not.  
I’ve got no landline connection at all now.  Nathan from VM has contacted me separately.  So hoping it’ll all be sorted quickly.  

Thank you Nathan 

My daughter-in-law is with me and she will help if you need to call to discuss.  I’ve responded to your private message with the details you’ve requested.  

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for chatting with me via PM @Catherine16 😊 I'm glad this issue has been resolved for you now.

If you need any further help, please let us know. We're always happy to assist.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

SlySven
Dialled in

I've been through this switch over and for me, briefly, I had both the land-line AND the VOIP line working (just on the day of the switch-over) eventually though the land-line will "die" and then you will only get a phone-line through the first of the RJ11 or RJ12 (I can't remember which it is) sockets at the top of your SuperHub3 (not sure about the location on later models).

That socket is where you will have to plug in the adapter that VM sent you, into which you then plug the "BT style" UK phone plug of whatever you have for your home phones. You can use a splitter there to connect more than one piece of telephone equipment there and the VM box can support up to three "normal" devices like that. (The technical term is that it can support a "REN" {Ringer Equivalent Number} of 3 - which is less than the previous "standard" of 4 for UK land-lines - as most devices have a REN of 1).

Note that you have to use the first socket as the second one is there to provide a second line should it be required - though I'd expect few VM customers to be in that situation - otherwise the other one will not "do" anything.

==========================================================================
If MS Windows is the answer then you may not be asking the right question.

grafton6
Joining in

Hi SlySven,

Thank you, your response appears to be the most informative I've seen using the forum page. I have the exact same problem today (switchover day) just waiting to see how long this so called E X C E L L E N T upgrade will take today. No doubt I will be experiencing this problem for some time  to come and did anticipated it. Majority of my contacts have my mobile as a dedicate landline does seem to be a little archaic.