cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Switch to Fibre

DudleyS
Joining in

The planned date for my landline to be switched to fibre is 25 days away. I have not received an adapter yet - should I worry yet?

Like a few of you, my hub is quite some distance from my existing phone/power socket so will need about 15 metres of extension cable. Who does this Virgin or Me? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DudleyS, thanks for getting back to me privately.  
This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Please bear in mind, you can manage your account from here. Your online account, will give you access to your bills, show your package details, diagnose any possible faults and monitor any orders and appointments you may have. 
Regards
Lee_R

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@DudleyS wrote:

The planned date for my landline to be switched to fibre is 25 days away. I have not received an adapter yet - should I worry yet?

Like a few of you, my hub is quite some distance from my existing phone/power socket so will need about 15 metres of extension cable. Who does this Virgin or Me? 

Ask VM (via the VM forum team on here, when they reply to this topic) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @DudleyS thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Please check here, for all you need to know about the landline switchover.  I would like to take a look at your account on your behalf to confirm whether or not any equipment etc, should have been received by now. I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DudleyS, thanks for getting back to me privately.  
This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Please bear in mind, you can manage your account from here. Your online account, will give you access to your bills, show your package details, diagnose any possible faults and monitor any orders and appointments you may have. 
Regards
Lee_R

Bartoi
Joining in

My landline switched over yesterday, since then jitter has doubled, ping on my gaming server has doubled, ping is through the roof, my 350 is now unusable, take the phone and shove it tbh

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Bartoi 

Thanks for your response

The landline switchover wouldn't cause any issues as such, is the broadband affected across multiple devices?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

wing
On our wavelength

At the moment I am using a 5M phone cable from the wall to my BT cordless phone base.  I am on a Virgin phone line and for the switch over to fibre system I need to get a newer shorter phone cable to connect my existing cordless phone base to the fibre phone adapter I received from Virgin. I am slightly confused whether I should get a straightwired or crosswired phone cable.

Hi Wing 👋 welcome back to community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear your concerns about what kind of cable to get to connect your phone base to the hub. There's some super handy information about the switchover process that can be found here 👉 Landline Switchover | Virgin Media Help including a picture of the adapter that connects your phone to the hub. 

Any cable would be the same one that you currently use when connecting your landline handsets. Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns and we will do our best to help. 

All the best! 🌞

Molly