Menu
paulsm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Landline Port

I have recently signed up to Virgin and have an installation date in a couple of weeks. On my application form I asked to transfer my existing number. This is with The Post Office. According to the Post Office I have to ring them and give them the go live date from virgin rather than just waiting for another provider to take over the line. I did that yesterday and they have started disconnecting which is due 2 days after my installation from Virgin. Virgin haven't confirmed anything about transferring the number. I cannot see anywhere on Virgin website the procedure for transferring the landline number and I'm worried I will lose the number which we have had for over 20 years! Should I cancel the disconnection  request to Post Office for now and wait until virgin is connected? Its not clear anywhere!!!!

0 Kudos
1stch0ice
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Landline Port

I think I would put a hold on the cancellation. I joined VM a month ago and they have failed to transfer my old number as yet, even though it was promised and actioned from the start. I have had the original number for 27 years and to say I'm not happy is an under statement ! . From the research that I have done, it sounds near impossible to get it back now, some suggest re joining BT and paying for 2 phone lines and hope I could get it back that way ! 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Post Office have given the wrong advice here. It would be correct for a mobile number, but not a fixed line.

OFCOMs current rules are that the new provider handles the transfer including the closure of the Post Office account. Putting in a cancellation results in a “pending disconnection” state on the account until it is closed & any porting request will be refused.

You are also taking a chance that Virgin will not find issues with the ducting to your property, which could lead to a delay of 6 to 8 weeks on the installation date with local authorities & construction contractors getting involved. You can always get Virgin installed & port your number at a later date. This also gives you some insurance should the Virgin install get postponed.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi paulsm,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for reaching out with your query. I do apologise for any confusion regarding the landline number porting process.

As nodrogd has advised, the normal process is for you to advise us of the number so we can request this from the Post Office. We would need your landline to remain active in order to complete the port, although this should then close down the line on their side. If you have any other services with them, you may need to book in a separate disconnection.

If you'd like to confirm that the number port is being processed from our end, you can speak directly with our pre-install team on 08000521509.

Thanks,

Rachael

Colin_Dev
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Landline Port

Like many of the people who have posted on here I am also suffering with landline porting, or the lack of it.

I switched from EE to Virgin in early August. Despite numerous calls to Virgin this has not happened. 

At one point Virgin asked me to contact EE to get the number 'active'. This I did and they complied. As a result Virgin sent a text to say the port would happen on September10th. Needless to say this didn't happen and there was no further communication from them.

Today after calling them they now say the number is not 'active' and that I should call EE. This I did and EE say the number has been released and I should contact OpenReach. Going to their web site is not helpful. There is no clear way to contact anyone with regard to this.

VM's customer service in this regard is awful! Lots of outwardly nice helpful people who make promises that the company does not keep. I can't even find how to make a complaint.

Please VM help me get this resolved.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid that if the number has been released back to openreach then I am afraid that the number cannot be regained. If EE had kept the line open until the port had been completed and then released the number then they are at fault there is nothing that VM can do to regain that number for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
1stch0ice
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's not entirely true, in my case VM contacted open reach directly and managed to get my number back. Where there's a will there's a way ! 

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colin_Dev,

I'm sorry to hear that your number port hasn't gone ahead successfully and understand that you're eager to get it active with us. @DJ_Shadow1966 is correct  in that we can only port active numbers and if EE's host network made it active again, we would be able to port the number. Do you know whether EE reactivated the line and let their Network Provider aware? I ask as EE is not showing up as our list of network providers and may be a reseller. 

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos