Menu
Raghbirdhillon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Landline Number Porting Issue - Please Help!

I recently moved providers to Virgin Media on 02/12/2020, I wanted to port my old landline number from Plusnet over to Virgin Media, however, this did not happen. 

On the day of the transfer of services Virgin Media told me I had a new phone number which I did not want. I spoke to Plusnet they had ceased my existing number and it had been released to Openreach. 

Virgin Media asked me to contact BT Openreach to see if I can still retrieve my old number. I was  told by VM to ask BT Openreach to see if they can make the number temporarily active so Virgin Media can port the number over. 

I have tried contacting BT Openreach and spoken to the Number Port team and Provision team but both have been unhelpful. It is unclear what I need to do. Someone at BT said I need to submit a renumber order but other said I need to open a new contract with BT minimum 12 months and have two phone lines BT and Virgin and once the BT contract is about to expire ask Virgin to port the number over. I am still very confussed on what steps to take.   

My old number is very important to me as I have had the number for the past 17+ years and I have over 250 contacts that have this old number friends and family up & down the country and abroad. 

I have been told that my old number is a spare number, how can this be claimed before it is distributed to a new customer?  

I will look forward to your response with great anticipation.

Many thanks,
Rob

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline Number Porting Issue - Please Help!

Hi Raghbirdhillon, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Very sorry there has been an issue with your number being ported over, this isn't good. 

When you took out the Virgin Media services did you advise us at the time you were bringing the number over? 

You would need to keep the landline active with your current provider so that the number can come over to us, if they were disconnected before we were able to take over the number then this would stop the port from happening. 

It does sound like the team are doing all they can to get the number back without you having to pay for two services. 

As soon as they have any news they'll let you know. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
Raghbirdhillon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma_C

Thank you for your response. 

When I placed the order with Virgin Media services online (04/11/2020)  I did advise at the time I want to bring the number over, however, the following day I received another questionnaire asking whether I would require an engineer to come out, to which I answered 'Yes' and there were another set of questions which I thought I answered 'Yes' to but they have informed I didn't. 

At the time Virgin Media said I will receive my contract within the next 48 hours confirming the full details of my package and I would need review and sign it, however, I never received the contract if I had I may have noticed the mistake I made and corrected it before the switch over. Foolishly I never followed this up either why I didn't receive my contract. 

Also, I was informed by a Virgin partner that cancelling my existing contract on the same day as Virgin services would be installed would be ok to do. 

I really hope the team can sort this mess out and retrieve my old number, this would really make my Christmas. 

Many thanks

Raghbirdhillon

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Raghbirdhillon

Thanks for coming back to us. I cannot guarantee to get the number as it's potentially disconnected. I will do my best however and send you a PM now to get you the details.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
Raghbirdhillon
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I am still waiting for an update, if not resolved I will cancel my contract and go back to my previous provider.

Regards

Raghbir

0 Kudos