cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Number Port Request From Plusnet

enamatt35
Joining in

Hi

My son arranged for my broadband / telephone from Plusnet (my contract ending 26th March) to Virgin Media & he said that he had requested to keep my existing landline number .

As Im in my late 80's & not up to speed on ordering internet etc online therefore my son arranged everyting on my behalf online when he last visited me. 

My instalation was today (20th March) and everything is setup with the broadband & TV fine with a lovely young lady technician, however it seems i have been given a temporary virgin number.  My son was here when the instalation took place to ensure all was well. Obviously my existing number is still active when I plug my phone in 

As I have not received any email mentioning anything about porting my number. He has advised I come on here to ask if someone in the customer care team can check whether the request to port my existing landline number was indeed requested when ordered as its important i can keep my existing number.

Any help would be so much appreciated. Thank you Ena

10 REPLIES 10

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @enamatt35 👋

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. It's so great to have you on board!

I would love to assist you further with this, so will pop you a PM now to confirm the details and we can take it from there. 

Speak to you soon 😃

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @enamatt35 

Thanks for your time via PM. 

I have raised the number port request now and it can take 14 calendar days to go through. 

I will keep you posted 😊

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Many thanks, I have received email from Plusnet confirming my number should be transferred on the 31st March. 

Any issues I'll get back to you  much appreciated 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi enamatt35, thanks for the post and your update.

Glad to know you've received a confirmation about your number port from the previous provider, tell us how things go and if everything looks ok on the 31st when you'll switch back to your old landline number.

We'll be happy to assist with any issues moving forwards, feel free to give us a shout.

Adri
Forum Team

You're lucky. I provided my old telephone number twice during the ordeing process then again on the day my line was installed. Two days later I get a message telling me the number could not be switched as the old line was no longer active. Of course it wasn't - I was switching to VM, so why would I leave an old line active unecessarily? At no point was I told the old line needed to be kept active for any particular period of time. Surely the point of providing my number during ordering was to allow VM to request the number port ahead of time?? Very frustrating as there is now nothing I can do about it.

Hi MacRencephal,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I am very sorry to hear that there was an issue with your number port after switching to us. 

Number ports usually take around 10 working days to complete, so we would always advise to keep your landline service active with your old provider until the port completes, I am really sorry if this was not the case for you. 

Did the Sales Team advise whether they would request the port at the time of the sale?

Thank you

Beth

@MacRencephal

Sorry to hear. I think I would of been in the same boat if my son didn't remind me to double check with virgin if the landline port request had been received with my original order

My son said he definitely requested to transfer number when he ordered the virgin service (I've had the same number for many many years) for me, yet no request was on my order according to CS 

Then why bother asking about number porting if they don't action it ? 

Anyway, fingers crossed all goes well & again sorry to hear of you're terrible experience  😞

Yes. As far as I understood it the (old) number was requested at the time of placing the order specifically so that it could be used to immediately generate the number port request. At no point was I told I needed to leave my old line active for at least 10 days after the VM line had been activated in order to allow time for the port request to be made.

Why the request wasn't initiated as part of the ordering and set-up process I don't know. I have to say everything else ran extremely smoothly with pre-visit installation and day of installation both going without a hitch so it has left a really frustrating sour taste in my mouth.

Hi MacRencephal,

I am truly sorry that the number port wasn't requested at the time or put through. I do understand your frustrations with this, completely.

I'm afraid that there won't be much we can do to retrieve the number now that the landline is inactive with your previous provider, however I'll pop you over a private message so I can raise a complaint for you.

Beth