Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Landline - No dial tone

I live in SW18. On Thursday 25 June, my landline suddenly stopped working - it has NO dial tone. and this has lasted for 3 days.  My TV and Internet, also part of my VM bundle are working fine.  My handsets are charged and in working order. The display on the handsets says "Check Phone Line".  I have run all the tests suggested on the VM website and no problems are reported. My neighbours also with VM landlines have no problems. I tried to book an engineer on line but VM says you can only book an engineer on the phone.  I could not find any online chat facility. In fact the system just takes you round a loop repeating all the same tests. I have spent over an hour on the phone to VM on 3 occasions and I am told I will be connected to someone who can help me but this doesn't happen , so it is now impossible to book an engineer, either on line or by phone.  I am very reliant on my landline. When I call my landline from another phone, it rings as usual including playing my personalised message and "appears" to record the caller's message. Of course I cannot retrieve the messages so I have no idea who has called me. What can I do? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Landline - No dial tone

Hi, I have exactly the same issue. Broadband went at 9.40 on Thursday 25th and was intermittent throughout the whole day. I then saw that the landline was not working no dial tone. The phone is fully charged and is working through the intercom. I can't get hold of Virgin at all, it says that the helpline is open on Sunday 8.00 to 6.00 but the message on the line states "our offices are closed" and refers you to the website that will take you round and round in circles. Pretty poor service and nobody to complain to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Landline - No dial tone

Hi Gillibee, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into with your landline, I am sorry its suddenly stopped working for some reason!

Have you been able to get in touch with any of the faults agents since posting? 

I've had a look at your services and cannot find any issues within your home network or local area. 

Can you remember anything out of the ordinary happening when the issue occurred? 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And hello to you too Nickt747!

Thanks for also using the forums, you've come to the right place for help. 

Would you be able to answer the same questions as I posed to Gillibee please? 

Have you been able to get in touch with any of the faults agents since posting? 

Can you remember anything out of the ordinary happening when the issue occurred? 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan

Thanks for your response.  When my landline lost its dial tone, nothing out of the ordinary happened here. However I am aware that VM had a massive outage all over London on the same day.

Yesterday after another long wait on the phone, I finally got to speak with someone at VM.  After he took me through all he same checks and tests that I have done numerous times on the VM website, he said I would need to have an engineer. However, the earliest appointment I was offered is Thursday 9 July between 8am and 12 noon  I have accepted the appointment although it is at a very inconvenient time as I have an important hospital appointment in the early afternoon.  It is also shocking that I have to wait so long for an engineer when it has already taken me four days to get in touch with anyone for VM.

Are you able to get me an earlier appointment for an engineer?

With best wishes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gillibee,

Thanks so much for your reply, we do schedule dates at the first available opportunity to get them booked. Appointments can be changed if there are earlier times. You are able to view availability here, https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-manage-engineer-appointment

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey

Thanks for your message. I followed your instructions and rescheduled to July 7 but when I confirmed the change, the website said:

"We can't reschedule home visits online right now. We can still reschedule your appointment over the phone. Please call us."

This is very disappointing especially as I was much encouraged by your suggestion. I know from my experience of the past 6 days that I will wait for ages for someone to answer the phone and then they will make me go through all the checks and tests again by which time the slot will have been booked by someone else.   So I will keep the appointment as it is.  I simply do not have time to spend hours on the phone yet again.  This is shocking customer service. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gillibee,

Thanks for replying. That's very odd to have this message for a reschedule request. I'll have to look into this.  I will send you a PM shortly to get your account details.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos