cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Migration - Telephony Disabled in SuperHub3

Big_Daz
Tuning in

We had our phoneline migrated today, and because the call handler booking the switch didn't know any technical details, we had a technician come out to fit the new hub and plug in the adaptor and connect our existing sockets to the new hub.

The router is installed and running in modem mode, the internet is fine.

The technician told us that Virgin didn't provide the connection of existing sockets to the hub, so we plugged one of the house phones into the superhub3. 

Question 1 - How long does it take for the phone to be migrated? I would have expected this to have been fairly quick (a couple of hours?)

Question 2 - Is there an idiots guide to connecting the existing loop of telephone sockets to the second port of the Superhub? The technician said a simple cable between the router and sockets should work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi MGM1,

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Community Forums! 

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your Landline service. I'm going to send you a private message, so I can assist you further with this.

Please look out for it in the top-right, purple envelope.

Thanks, 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Big_Daz wrote:

We had our phoneline migrated today, and because the call handler booking the switch didn't know any technical details, we had a technician come out to fit the new hub and plug in the adaptor and connect our existing sockets to the new hub.

The router is installed and running in modem mode, the internet is fine.

The technician told us that Virgin didn't provide the connection of existing sockets to the hub, so we plugged one of the house phones into the superhub3. 

Question 1 - How long does it take for the phone to be migrated? I would have expected this to have been fairly quick (a couple of hours?)

I don’t know why the tech fitting the new hub did not migrate you at the time, as they do this when there are wiring changes required.

Question 2 - Is there an idiots guide to connecting the existing loop of telephone sockets to the second port of the Superhub? The technician said a simple cable between the router and sockets should work?

The second port on the hub is for a separate additional line. The two sockets are not physically interconnected. If you had booked to wire up to your existing master socket as part of the job, this would have been done free of charge when your hub was changed.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Big_Daz wrote:

<snip>

VM should link your existing phone sockets to the Hub free of charge as part of the switchover process (via a second visit perhaps, if required). Your post seems to suggest though that you had booked this as part of today's visit.

Are your telephone wall sockets are still working or are they now dead too?

Hi nodrogd,

For question 2, I was told by the very unhelpful call agent, we couldn't have sockets connected, but looking at the forums here, it looks like it certainly is possible.

Because our phone master socket is downstairs, and router is in an upstairs office, I was told we couldn't have the 2 items connected but would have to purchase new multi-handset phones. Not a big issue, but I dont want the base system with voicemail in my office which is locked.

The other option was to have the technician run a coax cable down the stairs to relocate the router next to where the phone is, not an acceptable option as i don't want cables running down the stairs pinned to the skirting.

Before the visit i requested to speak to a technician or someone with technical knowledge, so i could run a cable between the phone and the router, or connect the existing sockets, but the call agent refused. When I requested to speak to someone else I was told I could book the visit, or my phone would be cut off.

When I asked to speak to the complaints team, the call agent said that wasn't their job.
When I logged a complaint with VM about the customer experience, I was emailed to say there was no issue with my phone line, and the complaint was closed....

At this point, I was told I can't have sockets connected, and clearly, it can be done, I just need the technical knowledge of how to do it (I am perfectly capable of doing it myself), as there is no way on earth I am paying VM to come back to do something that should have been free, but I was told could not be done.

Hi goslow,

the old sockets are dead, I was expecting a short period of downtime during swap over, but the router has the telephony option disabled, so need VM to take action

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Big_Daz wrote:
Hi goslow,

the old sockets are dead, I was expecting a short period of downtime during swap over, but the router has the telephony option disabled, so need VM to take action

VM should be able to rearrange a tech visit to do the socket wiring free of charge as part of the switchover.

The forum team on here should also be able to investigate why your switchover has not completed. Switching on a BH w/e probably hasn't helped.

A DIY guide to one way of wiring up extension sockets is below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Connecting-Hub-3-to-Extensions/m-p/4797693

One of VM's methods is to use a cable as per image at message #9 below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/HUB3-to-Master-socket-adaptor/m-p/4507007#M143805

the old incoming line is disconnected from the master socket (to prevent the new connection from the hub being fed back out into the street again). The adapter is then used to link the phone socket on the hub to an extension socket (VM should fit one next to the hub if required). Plugging the lead in 'backfeeds' the phone connection from the VM hub into the existing extension sockets thus making them 'live' again via the hub.

There is another written explanation of the process below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Why-must-I-move-my-phones-and-plug-them-into-the-vir...

In regard to cordless phones, most new models now allow full control of the system from a satellite handset (such as answering machine control, missed messages etc. etc.). You do not have to be next to the cordless base unit to pick up messages etc. Check the manual for any proposed system.

The VM forum team usually reply here within a few days.

Thanks goslow, that gives me all the information I need to add my sockets, just need to disconnect the master socket from the old incoming line. I just need to get the telephony enabled in the router now

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Big_Daz 👋

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you've had a poor experience when discussing your migration to 21CV, it's certainly not how we aim to do things, and I'll ensure this is fed back internally.

In regard to the migration, I'm glad to see goslow has been able to provide some further advice on linking your old master socket to the Hub - as also mentioned, we can book this free of charge, if needed.

I'm going to you a private message so I can look into getting the Telephony service enabled on the router. Please look out for my PM in the top-right, purple envelope.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Good evening Reece, apologies I have been out for work all day. I have just replied to your PM, and will continue.ie there.

Only my second ever post but have been an Ntl /VM customer for over 20 years 

Hello, I have a similar issue where we are still awaiting the router to have telephony enabled. The technician swapped our equipment over on 06 April and was not able to get the migration completed whilst on site. The router is still showing telephony disabled and we have been without a landline for over two weeks.
Thanks
MGM