cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Fibre Switch June 2023

rowdyangel
On our wavelength

Hi all,

had email from VM today saying that from 1st June 2023 we will need to use the adapter they are going to send to us to accommodate the landline switch to fibre.

Our phone is located downstairs, our wifi hub is upstairs.  Where our wifi hub is located we have no phone socket and no spare electric socket to plug in a phone (the phone is one with a base that has an integrated answer machine and we have 2 hands-free phones in addition).  We can't relocate our wifi hub due to the location of several devices hard-wired to it and our home office set up for working from home.

Does anyone know how we can get around this?  TIA.

32 REPLIES 32

The existing analogue phone connects to a Hub (3/4/5) TEL socket.
A mains power strip might be more use than a network switch.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ashg wrote:

This is a total disaster for me. I have no spare electric points where my hub is because I have  tech 8 items that are in constant use!

<snip>

Wow this a big problem for me!!!!! 😡😵😤... 

Not sure from your description of your concerns if you have understood how the VM 21CV phone arrangement works. It does not require any network connections. Just connecting an ordinary phone to the back of the VM hub as per image at #10 above).

Have you got any spare ethernet structured cable runs from your hub location to a different part of your home? If so, use a patch lead kit like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCSL-Brand-Telephone-Structured-Cabling/dp/B007UGF3EU

to patch the phone signal via one of your structured wiring cables to a different location of the home. This is simply using the ethernet piece of cable to carry the phone signal (not a network connection).

Your description sounds as if your phone gets minimal use. If so just buy a super-simple corded phone and leave it plugged into the VM hub (no power socket required).

Or just update any contacts who may still have your landline number and ask them to remove it from use and go mobile-only.

Or buy a cordless phone system and plug the base station into the VM hub and use cordless phones around the home as required.

The phone change is coming to all telecoms providers, like it or not, so it's a case of finding the least-worst change that you can accommodate.

@Client62 wrote:

Yeah just seen its a small adapter, I have a hub 3 luckily.

I was thinking its like community fibre where they use a voip service that has a box that connects via network cable to any ethernet port on your router.

Will this service work though with my hub 3 in modem mode?

Thanks

VM Residential Hubs do provide a telephone service in both Router and Modem modes.

If we login to the Hub 3 menus, the 1st screen has status info where it displays Telephone as Enabled or Disabled.

Hi @mitch84, thanks for reaching out to us on the forums page. 👋🏼

I can confirm that the VOIP line will work whether the hub is in router mode or modem mode.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@goslow wrote:

@Ashg wrote:

This is a total disaster for me. I have no spare electric points where my hub is because I have  tech 8 items that are in constant use!

<snip>

Wow this a big problem for me!!!!! 😡😵😤... 

Not sure from your description of your concerns if you have understood how the VM 21CV phone arrangement works. It does not require any network connections. Just connecting an ordinary phone to the back of the VM hub as per image at #10 above).

Have you got any spare ethernet structured cable runs from your hub location to a different part of your home? If so, use a patch lead kit like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCSL-Brand-Telephone-Structured-Cabling/dp/B007UGF3EU

to patch the phone signal via one of your structured wiring cables to a different location of the home. This is simply using the ethernet piece of cable to carry the phone signal (not a network connection).

Your description sounds as if your phone gets minimal use. If so just buy a super-simple corded phone and leave it plugged into the VM hub (no power socket required).

Or just update any contacts who may still have your landline number and ask them to remove it from use and go mobile-only.

Or buy a cordless phone system and plug the base station into the VM hub and use cordless phones around the home as required.

The phone change is coming to all telecoms providers, like it or not, so it's a case of finding the least-worst change that you can accommodate.

OK you don't understand my problem. I have two phones in my house. One is the main phone which has to be plugged into the mains. The other is the wireless phone connected to the main phone. Yes I understand where the adaptor plugs into my Hub 3. As I explained I don't want my phone in the room where my Hub is because there is nowhere to plug it in or put it. My multi point extension is full with items that have to remain pugged in all the time! Putting a standard phone in that room is not a option as we would never hear it from another room and I hate corded phones anyway!

Question.."Have you got any spare ethernet structured cable runs from your hub location to a different part of your home? If so, use a patch lead kit like this." Answer...Yes going to a Ethernet switch in another room upstairs and downstairs. Both are in the wrong part of the room for that item in the link to be helpful unless I get a 15 metre cable 🙄. I just spend many hours hiding all my surround sound cables in that room and there is no room for one more cable in the trunking and as for any background noise that may cause in my system 😕

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ashg wrote:

OK you don't understand my problem. I have two phones in my house. One is the main phone which has to be plugged into the mains. The other is the wireless phone connected to the main phone. Yes I understand where the adaptor plugs into my Hub 3. As I explained I don't want my phone in the room where my Hub is because there is nowhere to plug it in or put it. My multi point extension is full with items that have to remain pugged in all the time! Putting a standard phone in that room is not a option as we would never hear it from another room and I hate corded phones anyway!

Question.."Have you got any spare ethernet structured cable runs from your hub location to a different part of your home? If so, use a patch lead kit like this." Answer...Yes going to a Ethernet switch in another room upstairs and downstairs. Both are in the wrong part of the room for that item in the link to be helpful unless I get a 15 metre cable 🙄. I just spend many hours hiding all my surround sound cables in that room and there is no room for one more cable in the trunking and as for any background noise that may cause in my system 😕

In the scenario you describe, where you cannot possibly change anything at all about your current arrangements/setup whatsoever, then you do, indeed, have a problem.

@Client62 wrote:

Yes I know what socket the adaptor goes into on my Hub 3. I have a 8 gang power extension which is full and my phone needs power . So yes I could buy a 10 gang one (££££) but I've still got nowhere to put a phone in that room, . So my problem remains

@goslow wrote:

@Ashg wrote:

In the scenario you describe, where you cannot possibly change anything at all about your current arrangements/setup whatsoever, then you do, indeed, have a problem.

It's looking like my only fix is plug-in the adaptor and run a cable from there outside and back into my house through the wall and to where my phone is now 🙄

@Ashg wrote:

@goslow wrote:

@Ashg wrote:

It's looking like my only fix is plug-in the adaptor and run a cable from there outside and back into my house through the wall and to where my phone is now 🙄

VM were offering free engineer visits to run additional telephone cabling from the adapter in the hub to an extension point in another location. Not sure if that's expired now. Perhaps the forum staff can pick it up....