cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Cut Off And Phone Part of Package Has Been Cancelled Ahead of Switchover

AfxTwn
On our wavelength

Sorry for the long subject title but I wasn't sure what to title it. I received a text back in July informing me of the switchover and that my landline would stop working. There was no mention of needing an adapter and I haven't received anything in the post or any letters informing me about the change, just the text message.

The landline was cut off (although I am not sure why as a neighbour who is also on VM, says theirs is still working and they are just a few doors down), and I am now without a landline. I haven't received any adapters or information. I was only aware of the need for an adapter after speaking to a friend who is on VM and they explained what was happening to me.

I have phoned VM a few times now trying to get my landline working again or an adapter to plug into my hub and it appears that for some reason, the phone part of my package has been cancelled and now whoever I talk to keeps trying to get me on to a new package/contract and add the phone to it but charge me much more money, around £85. I had recently re-negotiated my contract with VM for less than that and my landline was included as part of the package.

Why has my landline been cut off early, why has the home phone part of my package been cancelled and why are VM now expecting me to add the phone service to my package at an increased cost? Every time I try to speak to someone at VM I can barely understand a word they are saying and all they do is try to get me onto a new contract.

I shouldn't have to have a new contract in the first place as it is your mistake that the phone service has been dropped from my existing package and I certainly shouldn't be having to pay any more money than what I already agreed to. You can apparently very quickly cut the phone service off but can't re-instate just as fast and this requires a new and more expensive contract being entered into.

As I am at my wits end I am seriously considering cancelling everything from Virgin Media and informed the people I have spoken to on the phone only to be told I would have to pay an early cancellation fee. Apparently it's perfectly ok for you to break contract and change things without informing the customer but not for the customer to cancel with a legitimate reason.

Plus the free 150 number doesn't work so I am forced to call 0345 454 1111 from my mobile which I am not sure is free and if not how much I am being charged, seeing as I have spent an hour and a half on the phone at times, this could prove very expensive.

Please can someone get in touch with me to resolve this issue.

11 REPLIES 11

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AfxTwn, thank you for your post.

We're sorry to hear about the poor experience you've had and that you feel this way 😔

Did the text message specify when the switchover would take place?

Information on our Fibre landline service can be found here

Regards,
Daniel

AfxTwn
On our wavelength

Hi, I just checked the message and it doesn't mention anything at all about a switchover, I got slightly mixed up. It is basically just informing me that my landline has been disconnected but I had no idea why and after speaking to a friend, assumed it was because of the switchover. I have spoken to someone else at Virgin now, I thought I would give it one last try and they have arranged for an engineer to come out this Thursday and re-connect my landline and hopefully they can advise as to whether it has been re-instated on to my account or if I am expected to pay more money because I definitely won't be doing.

From what I can tell, it looks like when I last negotiated a new contract, I think it was back in June, whoever set it up for me didn't included the landline as part of it even though that's what I've always had any wanted and so that is why my landline had been disconnected, not because of the switchover but obviously that would have effected it also.

I have been a customer with Virgin and all it's iterations (Nynex etc) for nearly 30 years and the service has just gotten worse and worse. The customer service is absolutely terrible. Today was by far the worst I have experienced, I kept getting passed around from department to department, couldn't understand a lot of the people, they wouldn't listen to me and all they were interested in was just getting me onto a new, more expensive contract. They wouldn't acknowledge that Virgin were the ones who made a mistake and needed to rectify it. I should really receive some kind of compensation for the poor service and amount of time and upset this has caused me.

I hope the engineer visit later this week will resolve the issue and I will be speaking to them further. I won't be dropping the matter as I feel the way I have been treated is appalling and should be acknowledged and resolved in some way. I had made a complaint earlier today and received a reference number but I have my doubts as to whether that will passed on to anyone and looked into seriously, let alone if I will receive any kind of response.

Also, your sad face emoji at the end of the sentence saying you were sorry to hear about my experience and the way I feel is incredibly condescending. I am not a child and need to have some kind of visual aid to indicate that you are sad for me. I would just like to be dealt with in a professional and courteous manner.

Hi @AfxTwn, thank you for your response. That wasn't my intention and I apologise.

You can track your complaint for any updates using our online checker here

Please let us know how the engineer visit goes on Thursday.

If you have any further queries in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Daniel 

big-luap
Superfast

It is being changed to digital, connection via your home hub, avoid the Hub 4 if you can they are cack. 3 or 5 are best.

They will also supply a Virgin 4G Home phone. Only ONE call to 999, then you will be asked to top-up the sim card. Does not receive incoming calls to your number. Will only receive calls to the sim number which is on the bottom of the phone.

If you dont need a landline now is the time to dump it.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@big-luap wrote:

It is being changed to digital, connection via your home hub, avoid the Hub 4 if you can they are cack. 3 or 5 are best.

They will also supply a Virgin 4G Home phone. Only ONE call to 999, then you will be asked to top-up the sim card. Does not receive incoming calls to your number. Will only receive calls to the sim number which is on the bottom of the phone.

If you dont need a landline now is the time to dump it.

The EBUL version 3 now being installed allows you to call friends & relatives as well as emergency numbers. It is only meant as an emergency backup for outgoing calls.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

How did you get on with the engineer?  VM want to change me £25 to come out and look at cabling options

AfxTwn
On our wavelength

They are coming tomorrow so I will report back how I get on. Virgin have been sending me texts reminding me to make sure someone over 18 is in or if no one's home I will be charged a £25 fee. Feels like being threatened with a fine because they have had to send an engineer out in the first place.

Thanks for the update AfxTwn,

Please report back on how it goes.

Alex_Rm

AfxTwn
On our wavelength

Well the engineer came on Thursday to get the phone line set up again and he had to provide me with a new router (a Hub 3) and move it closer to where the phone was situated as I didn't want cables all over the living room or having to move the phone closer to where my TV was or the old router was. The engineer just seemed to want to do whatever was easiest and quickest for him, constantly suggesting things like "Why don't you put the router or your phone on the fireplace, why don't you put it on the TV stand or on the floor near the TV?". I wanted the phone to stay where it currently was near the window and where the actual landline is situated and he should have done that which he did eventually. I think he had to get an extension or something to connect the phone and TV and router, I don't know. He had to move the router to where my phone was which wasn't that hard to do so I don't know why he wasn't putting up such a fight.

But as per usual, what I was told on Monday, that the phone had been added back onto my package was a lie. The engineer wasn't able to get it working and phoned Virgin from his phone to find out was going on only to be told that I didn't have a landline on my package. I had tried to explain to him what had happened in the first place, that after I had last re-negotiated my contract, the person on the phone had for some reason not included the landline in it and not told me so it had been disconnected. The engineer kept trying to tell me it was because of the switchover but it had nothing to do with it.

Anyway, he said I would have to phone Virgin up again and get the phone added back onto my package. He then said he had reached his time limit of 40 minutes for the job and had to go. He hadn't connected up the TV or shown me how to set up the wi-fi or anything and left me to sort it out myself and left. I am not very technically-minded and find it difficult to do things like that or understand any of the technical jargon.

So I had to phone Virgin yet again (on my mobile with the cost of the 0345 number as the free 150 number no longer works) and go through the same awful customer service to re-negotiate my contract again to get the landline included. I explained again what had been happening with the lady on the phone and how the person on Monday had said it was set up to have the landline again when it wasn't and that I wasn't paying any more money to have the package that I had in the first place. She said she would need to call me back to see what she could do, which she did later on.

She then informed me she could do the TV, broadband and home phone for £64, why it was suddenly cheaper and they couldn't have just done this in the first place is beyond me. But apparently you have to go through a ridiculous song and dance every time you want to change something or even just get what you should have in the first place.

She was about to give me my new landline telephone number when I said I didn't want a new number as I had the same number for 30 years and she said she would have to do something to see if she can keep the same number and she would call me back tomorrow (Friday). So the day ended with me supposedly having a new contract but the phone line still not set up and working.

Friday came and no one from Virgin called me at all. So I have got no further with it. Again, the main thing I want, being a landline is still not working and I have no idea whether I do have a new contract or not or when, if ever, the phone line will be switched on and working.

Can someone from Virgin Media phone me up and sort this mess out once and for all? I suffer from anxiety and stress and this has just made me feel so much worse. I can't deal with this anymore and it's ridiculous that I have to go through this again and again. I want someone from Virgin Media in the UK to call me so that I can understand them and they can understand me, stop being passed around different departments and to get what I'm actually paying for. It seems like you are more bothered about getting new customers and locking people onto new 18 month contracts than you are about keeping existing customers, especially long-term, loyal customers.

I have just had enough with this and need someone to sort it out.