cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline Broadband

hansi
Fibre optic

I recently had my landline transferred to broadband and a bit new to it all. I want to swap the phones around such as in upstairs and downstairs. Can I just unplug them from the mains sockets and transfer them over? I won't touch the router connection. Thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi hansi 👋

Thanks for popping back. Whilst this shouldn't cause any issues as it's the same closed Landline network, it's always recommended to keep your primary base phone connected directly to the back of the Hub/Master Socket, to prevent any issues, as you've mentioned.

We're always on hand to support, in-case you do wish to try moving some things around.

Cheers, 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Hansi 👋

Thanks for getting in touch, and a warm welcome back to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear there's some confusion with the movement of your Landlines. This would be dependent on your current setup. For wireless phones, if you're looking to keep your base station near the back of your Hub, then moving your other phones around your property should be able to be unplugged as normal and then moved - as long as they don't require an extension socket/direct Landline connection.

If you use extension sockets to connect your phones, then you are able to swap these directly, but you would not be able to move them unless there is an extension socket nearby that you can connect to.

Let us know if you need anything else, and we'll be happy to help 🙂 

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

Thanks. Think I'll leave them as they are. It's just that the cordless base phone has an answer machine and that is now upstairs instead if downstairs but I'll leave things be in case I mess up!

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi hansi 👋

Thanks for popping back. Whilst this shouldn't cause any issues as it's the same closed Landline network, it's always recommended to keep your primary base phone connected directly to the back of the Hub/Master Socket, to prevent any issues, as you've mentioned.

We're always on hand to support, in-case you do wish to try moving some things around.

Cheers, 

Reece - Forum Team

Thanks. Following that, my landline just rung with an incoming call which my wife answered but the other handset just carried on ringing. Took me ages to stop it. Is this going to be a problem?

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No worries, Hansi.

For clarity, have you swapped over the pieces of equipment, or is this on the same setup? Can you confirm whether it's the main phone, or an additional handset that's experiencing issues?

Can you also confirm the make/model of the phone, and whether this used to happen when on the old copper Phone line?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

It's a BT True Call phone and it was connected to WiFi by your engineer. What was the base phone is the one plugged into the router and the other is plugged in downstairs.  The main issue is that the base phone has an answering machine and that is now upstairs. That's why ai asked if they could be swapped around.

Sorry didn't happen on the old connection. 

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for confirming that, hansi.

I've had a look on our side, and everything is looking ok when running a diagnostic on your line. Have you tried rebooting your Hub since changing things around? It's best to switch the Hub off at the back for around 30 seconds, before switching it back on.

The reboot will refresh the full connection to the Landline network, and should cause your phone to refresh too.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

Thanks. I'll try that.