cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Land line was dead. I want some money back

SheilaMiller
Joining in

My land line was dead for four days (Friday 21st to Monday 24th July). I want a refund of the relevant amount of money from the bill I paid. Also, I tried phoning on my mobile to report it, but gave up after hanging on for about 10 minutes; my mobile’s on pay-as-you-go, so this is expensive. I’d like Virgin to refund that too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Under the automatic compensation scheme, VM gets two clear working days to fix a fault before any compensation is applied. If you reported the fault on a Friday, then VM would have until 23:59 on the following Tuesday to fix the fault.

If the fault was fixed on the following Monday, then no compensation would apply under the automatic compensation scheme.

If you get VM to refund you anything on a 'goodwill' basis you'll have done well.

If you get VM to refund your mobile phone charges you'll have done very, very well!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SheilaMiller, thank you for your post.

We're sorry to hear about the problems you had with your landline service 😔

Total loss of service for a landline is covered under our Automatic Compensation Scheme, which you can read about here

Regarding the mobile phone charges incurred, you'd need to raise a complaint. Advice on how to do so can be found here

For future reference, you can register a loss of service by accessing the service status checker here or calling the service status number (0800 561 0061).

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Daniel

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Under the automatic compensation scheme, VM gets two clear working days to fix a fault before any compensation is applied. If you reported the fault on a Friday, then VM would have until 23:59 on the following Tuesday to fix the fault.

If the fault was fixed on the following Monday, then no compensation would apply under the automatic compensation scheme.

If you get VM to refund you anything on a 'goodwill' basis you'll have done well.

If you get VM to refund your mobile phone charges you'll have done very, very well!

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SheilaMiller thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear you were without your landline for 3 days.  For future reference, you can check for any issues in your area here. You can also book a technician via that link if needed and register for loss of service.  However, as you've reached out to us, I would like to take a look on your behalf. I am going send you a private message. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Many thanks for your help, and sorry not to have replied sooner – I’m rather overloaded at present, and was away all day yesterday.

Surely Saturday and Sunday should count as working days, as their engineers work on those days. However, it’s no surprise that Virgin has found a way to get out of paying for its faults and poor service. I’m too busy right now to spend time trying to force them, but thanks again.

Thanks for your help, and sorry not to have replied sooner – I’m rather overloaded at present, and was away all day yesterday.

I did check on the website for any issues in my area, and was told there weren’t any, which turned out not to be true.

It’s fixed now, but I am going to search for a better provider when I’m less busy.

Sheila

Many thanks for your help, and sorry not to have replied sooner – I’m rather overloaded at present, and was away all day yesterday.

Surely Saturday and Sunday should count as working days, as their engineers work on those days. However, it’s no surprise that Virgin has found a way to get out of paying for its faults and poor service. I’m too busy right now to spend time trying to force them, but thanks again.

Sheila

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi SheilaMiller, 

Thank you for your reply. 

My colleague has popped you over a private message to look in to this further. 

Please do reach out to them when you have a moment and they will be happy to help. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Thanks for your help, and sorry not to have replied sooner – I’m rather overloaded at present, and was away all day yesterday.

I did check on the website for any issues in my area, and was told there weren’t any, which turned out not to be true, and I called 0800 561 0061 to register the loss of service, as you suggest, but, as I said originally, I gave up after hanging on for some time; my mobile’s on pay-as-you-go, so this is expensive. While hanging on, I was forced to listen to a message saying that they were extremely busy, when the truth is that they’re not employing enough people to do the work (and they’re about to lay off another huge number of people, so presumably it will get even worse).

It’s fixed now, but I am going to search for a better provider when I’m less busy.

Sheila

The compensation scheme was set up by OFCOM and the minimum requirements are here

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

Suppliers are supposed to come up with their own interpretation of the scheme which satisfies the minimum requirements. The 'working day' interpretation is the commonly-held one of Monday to Friday. The OFCOM doc refers to 'calendar days' for other instances of counting compensation (Mon to Sun, 7 days per week).

The OFCOM scheme is common to most of the main suppliers so would (very likely) be the same/similar if you switched to another supplier.

It is quite likely, however, you could improve on the customer service offered by VM by switching to another supplier.