Menu
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Land line no dialtone (callers hear engaged tone)

Since sometime over the weekend my phone stopped working. Initially callers just thought I was on the phone already, so it's difficult to pin down exactly. I hear no dial tone at my end.

The service status on the website has shown all good the whole time, but the problem still exists, and the Run Test came back as "The test results were inconclusive".

It's probably a coincidence, but on Friday I made a post about caller ID on another thread, I only mention it in case someone tried to fix something and broke it instead.

0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Land line no dialtone (callers hear engaged tone)

Still the same, I already tried calling the help line from my mobile, but gave up after 25min of waiting in a queue.
0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Still the same 😞

I unplugged the phone from the phone socket and called my number with my mobile and I still get engaged, so there's clearly something wrong with the line.

Is it possible to book an engineer without having to call the helpline?

0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Still the same, anyone from Virgin able to help?

0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Really would like to get this sorted now. Today a friend came round to check I was ok because I've been unreachable.

0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Pretty please?
0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Due to lack of progress in the past week, I have submitted a complaint via the virginmedia.com website. Please feel free to jump in and help resolve the issue nonetheless.
0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Still the same problem.

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Irene234,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry to her you're having issues with our landline services, from your post we can see that you have tried diagnostics already which have not cleared the fault.

You advised you have unplugged your landline from the master socket but when called you still have a permanent engaged tone is this correct?

Have you any extension sockets plugged in? If so please can you remove all of these and just try the handset in your master socket only.

If you are still getting the same tone please come back to me so we can investigate further for you and get a technician booked if needed.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Jodi_S wrote:

You advised you have unplugged your landline from the master socket but when called you still have a permanent engaged tone is this correct?

Correct, when there is no phone plugged in, callers still receive a permanent engaged tone.

@Jodi_S wrote:

Have you any extension sockets plugged in? If so please can you remove all of these and just try the handset in your master socket only.

I only have a master socket, with one base station and some cordless handsets.

0 Kudos