Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

LANDLINE Number

Hi Everyone

Can someone please help me, as I am beyond frustrated with Virgin Media. I have been unable to reach anyone by phone for the past 2 days and nobody has replied to my text messages either.  I have spent so many hours on this, getting absolutely no-where. The issue is with my landline number, as follows:-

Virgin Media have provided landline and broadband services to my home address for over 10 years in my daughter's name. She was due to have the account closed in her name and I was to take over the account.  Before this was due to happen, Kayleigh, a Virgin Media agent, categorically assured me that the landline number would remain the same once the account was activated in my name (this is really important to me & I had stressed that the number must remain the same).  I am unsure if this is relevant, but a few days ago before the new account was due to be activated, a garbled, automated message was left on the landline purporting to be from BT saying that the landline was due to be disconnected within 24 hours.  As we have not been with BT for years I was puzzled (especially as the number that the message had come from was a 'dead' number when I tried to ring back). I therefore rang Virgin and was told straightaway that it was a scam and that everything was fine for the new account & that the number would remain.  I now discover that VM have changed the landline number!  This is not what I was told would happen and I am livid.  I really need the number changing back to what it was originally asap.  I was assured that there would be no change in the number. Can anyone please help me.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: LANDLINE Number

The answer to this is not straightforward as you might think.

It sounds as if the number you have been using was ported from BT when you moved to Virgin. If this is the case BT owns the number as it is part of their allocation in the local STD code area. Incoming calls are diverted through the BT exchange & then forwarded to Virgin.

Under landline porting rules Virgin is only allowed to “lease” the number while it remains on the account of the customer that ported it. Virgin has no right to transfer it internally to another account. It has to be returned to BTs pool of numbers.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there 

Thanks so much for your reply.  What you said makes absolute sense re: BT / Virgin.

I managed to get a response through the VM text messaging service and was told that the number would be ported back on 13 September. I really hope it does work and BT haven't allocated this number to someone else!  Will have to wait and see.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello - me again...and I am fuming, irritated and soooo fed up with Virgin Media.

I have twice been told, via 2 separate agents on the texting service, that my original landline number would be ported through by today.  Still no joy!  The agents just keep saying that they have sent through a request form to have the number ported.  I understand that numbers can only be ported if the number is still available, but the agents cannot tell me whether or not the number is still available.  What am I supposed to do?  I have spent so much time on this and see that I will have to be contacting OFCOM and making an official complaint to VM.  I have family and friends all over the world and in the UK, as well as many business contacts, not having the original number (which was with VM anyway) is causing me huge problems. I am also having cancer treatment and all the hospital contacts have the original number. I really don't need this.

Can anyone please help with this at all?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bettylove,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear your number porting issue hasn't yet been resolved, I would like to invite you into a private chat so I can look into this for you.

I will send you an invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Kind regards

Paul.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am having the exact same issue. 

What was the result? Did you get your number back ? 

0 Kudos