Menu
bpp21000
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Keeping same landline number whilst already on Virgin Media

hi there,

hoping someone on this forum can help as VM seem to be super helpful on here!

my mother is moving into my house as i am moving away. she has signed up to get virgin installed. however both she and i want to retain the existing landline number in case i ever move back. i currently have a virgin media account at the house which i will terminate and she will then be under her own contract. is there anyway she can keep my landline number?

any help appreciated!

thanks

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keeping same landline number whilst already on Virgin Media

The official way of doing this is not to sign up as a new customer and get a great new deal but to transfer your old account to your mother's name and pay the expensive price

0 Kudos
bpp21000
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Agreed but then my mother would have a much worse deal and would not be able to take advantage of the new customer offer.

Is there any way Virgin will let her keep the telephone number?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure, if they made it easy to do that then everyone would be doing it 

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bpp21000,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your landline number looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

So there is a way we can do it, you would need to fully disconnect from your services at that address and within a short amount of time your mum will need to move in and get her services up and running. Once her account is active we can do an internal port of your landline number from your former account to her account. Please be aware there might be a slim chance that the landline number might be taken up by a different account between your account being disconnected and your mum's getting activated, but this is only a slim chance.

So please come back to us when you disconnect and when your mum has been activated at the address, then we can begin with the port!

Thanks 🙂

Megan_L

0 Kudos
bpp21000
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, thanks for your advice. I will be in touch when she is connected.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @bpp21000

No worries at all - there is an simpler and possibly easier option available. 

You could do what is called Transfer of Responsibility - this is where she takes over your account and transfers it into her name. She gets to keep the services, and all existing equipment. No installation is needed and you get to keep the telephone number.

Once you leave, there is only a slim chance we can get your number assigned to your Mum's new account if you go that way. And, if your number once belonged to another provider - once you disconnect your account, it will return to that provider and we can't get it back at all.

If you want to log into the Transfer of Responsibility, have a look online here. You can also apply online but your Mum would need to cancel her installation first. Hope that helps. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos