cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping my old landline phone number

bcg87
Tuning in

Hello, I have been waiting since the 1st June for my old phone number to be ported over from BT

I have made numerous phone calls and made 2 complaints and I was told this would happen 2 weeks after the 5th July. I am waiting for hospital appointments and need the house phone as this is what our number is registered on plus no one is able to use the phone number we have had for the past 40 years

Can you please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bcg87 wrote:

Hello, I have been waiting since the 1st June for my old phone number to be ported over from BT

I have made numerous phone calls and made 2 complaints and I was told this would happen 2 weeks after the 5th July. I am waiting for hospital appointments and need the house phone as this is what our number is registered on plus no one is able to use the phone number we have had for the past 40 years

Can you please help?

Your line has to remain active with BT for the port to take place, so you can still use your old number with a phone connected to the old socket until it ports.

Virgin should have contacted BT & arranged the port, plus the closing of your BT account at the same time. What you must NOT do is cancel the BT service yourself, as this overrides the porting request that Virgin has made & the port will fail, resulting in the loss of your old number.

If you have cancelled BT yourself (or given notice to them) you need to contact them IMMEDIATELY & get the number reconnected to your old account before you lose it altogether.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

Why is no one able to use the BT Phone that you have had for the last 40 years ?
Just keep phones connected to the active BT line until the Port completers.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi bcg87,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with the number port, can you confirm if the number is still active with BT?

Alex_Rm

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bcg87 wrote:

Can you please help?

Your line has to remain active with BT for the port to take place, so you can still use your old number with a phone connected to the old socket until it ports.

Virgin should have contacted BT & arranged the port, plus the closing of your BT account at the same time. What you must NOT do is cancel the BT service yourself, as this overrides the porting request that Virgin has made & the port will fail, resulting in the loss of your old number.

If you have cancelled BT yourself (or given notice to them) you need to contact them IMMEDIATELY & get the number reconnected to your old account before you lose it altogether.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Alex, yes its still active. My contract with BT has not been stopped yet

Hi Client62, I changing my phoneline to Virgin but I have been waiting 3 months and paying for the BT contract still

Hi bcg87

We're sorry to hear of the issues transferring your landline number from BT to your Virgin Media account, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums and welcome to the community.

As has been advised and confirmed, in order to transfer the landline number it needs to be active with the current provider. As you have mentioned this to be the case we’re eager to support you with this, I will send you a Private Message to get some more details from you. Keep an eye out for the envelope icon in the top right when signed into the forums.

Rob